Recent experiences with my Witness family

by JimmyPage 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My dad was not raised a witness and neither was his brother. His brother has always been "wordly". Dad has been in "the truth" for decades now. Recently his health has been bad. I came up to see him as did my brother and a couple of Witnesses Dad has known for years.

My parents were talking to the Witness friends who came to see them about how their fleshly family were never there in times of need, only the Witnesses. Well I had e-mailed Dad's brother about Dad's health. He lives a long ways away and I know he cares very much. I am glad I e-mailed him because he called Dad out of concern.

And when my parents came home their lawn was mowed for them. Was it their Witness friends? No- it was my mom's sister's husband- a worldly guy.

Honestly, if you just give people half a chance you'll be surprised.

My other experience: my wife was talking about a lady she works with. My wife is a witness and the coworker is not. My wife said how messed up worldly people are because this person's live-in boyfriend was cheating on her.

I quickly pointed out that there has been infidelity in every one of my wife's siblings' marriages. And they are all Witnesses.

People only see what they want to see.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I hope your dad is doing much better now.

About the JWs, yes they do tend to see what they want and ignore whatever a worldly person does. It is because they are programmed to. The us vs them mentality is what is eventually going to sink their boat. They would have nothing to complain about if they would inform worldly family that they need help, or that someone is sick. They isolate themselves from them and then either complain that only JWs help or simply ignore the good they do.

• Mandette
    Mandette

Jimmy! I'm so glad you brought this up. My parents and siblings are all still "in". Yesterday I ran into my sister (who hasn't called me in about 2 yrs or so) and my niece at the store. SUDDENLY they're happy to see me and wanted to talk to me!!!! It seems that my niece will be having some surgery in the near future and wanted me to know. I was in total confusion on that one. So I just tried to reassure her that she'd be fine and let me know what she needs, yadda yadda.

SOOO...I mention this to my Dad. I even said how surprised I was that they actually WANTED to talk to me since they don't even bother to call. He said that they don't call him either and not to let it bother me.

My sister, my niece, and my sister's husband are such good dubs!!!!! BUT they don't bother to contact our parents?????????????????

AND I'm the one(heathen that I am) going over to my parents after work to do yard work to help them(they are 80yrs old).......And I call them most every day and we do things together and I'm interested in their lives....and it goes on and on........but my sister can't be bothered?

My Dad is no dummy!!! I KNOW he sees the contrast!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope your Dad is doing better!!!!!

Mandette

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

People see what the only want to see is so true - especially for Witnesses. You're raised to believe all wordly people are bad and selfish, even though there are those right in the congregation that behave this way. I'm so glad to be relieved of the them vs. us mentality. It keeps you closed off from so many good people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit