Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    In practice though, is not abiogenesis a firm belief among atheists and one which atheistic scientists are hard at work trying to find evidence for.

Why in the world would you expect those on this forum to attempt to claim what other people believe?

Yes, if someone is sincere their belief or non-belief imo should be respected. Why? We are all intelligent adults free to make our own decisions on whether God exists or not.

None of that explains why in the world I should respect the belief.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    This thread is taking on the tone of a secret elders meeting. Lots of smugness mixed with self congratulation mixed with an incredible vagueness.

If by "secret" you mean "open to the public" and "elder" you mean "people who aren't in charge of anything here"
    and "meeting" you mean "a discussion forum", then... well, only by meaning the literal exact opposite of what you said, really.

With regard to the smug vagueness, it really would be better if theists learns how to say what they mean. Or at least know what they mean. Or what science is. Or evolution. Or their own belief system.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

There will always be a place for religion as long as evil continues. Religion is for those who hate the idea of a finite life span. Religion is for those who need an answer (regardless of it being provable or not) as to why evil and suffering exists. Religion provides hope just as a good movie or book can provide hope and inspiration. Yet, more than a book or movie, religion provides that hope for as long as the person embracing it lives. Religion is a friend for many from the cradle to the grave.

Knowing that many people need the "mental drug" we call "faith", religious leaders know they don't have to provide proof behind their claims. The claim is the drug that is sufficient for the average theist.

The Buddhists claim that "shiranu ga hotoke" God (or Buddha) is the unknown around us. This phrase "shiranu ga hotoke" is also used to express that "ignorance is bliss". I feel that that sums religion up perfectly. Yuck.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Why do they do what they do? - because they can and get away with it. You may not fall for their tricks, but then again, you are not their target market.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Ok you're nitpicking again on a tangent and you don't seem the least interested in the core of the comment; I take a rest, because I don't want to engage in this sort of exercise again that only serves to derail threads and tire me out. It's your thread....and I'm out.

Eden

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Okay, everybody lost me a few threads ago. What topic are we on now. The original question was: Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up? What.

List: 1. Creationism

2. Intelligent Design

3. Theistic Evolution

4. Atheist Evolution

5. Additional Positions

Some hypothesis came from the Catholic Church such as the big bang. This is why the Catholic Church by the most part stay silent. That’s been going on since Galileo.

Parameters:

List: 1. Expectation

2. Perception

3. Presumption

4. Additional Positions

Science is not faring any better. When the scientific community screamed success for finding the Higgs Boson particle by the CERN, it was premature since 2 years later a portion of the same community screamed foal. Higgs had not found the God Particle. The answer to the simplest question on how matter evolved. The conclusion would allow science to prove string theory and therefore dark matter.

Since both theories are mystic, there’s no winner. They both cancel each other out according to the laws of physics.

• cofty
    cofty

Simon Says - It's as if you have heard a load of science-sounding words at various times and now you just string them together at random.

The Higgs boson particle has absolutely NOTHING to do with god. It was nicknamed the goddamned particle because it was known to exist in theory but it took a long time to discover by experiment.

It is in no way connected to god or creation.

This is the second time in two days I have explained this to you.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    When it comes to a matter of faith with religious people, their brains shut down and rational objective thinking goes out the window.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Some hypothesis came from the Catholic Church such as the big bang.

Eh?

Higgs had not found the God Particle.

Once again it isn't the "god particle" It was discovered theoretically by Higgs and in reality by an experiment at the LHC.

The answer to the simplest question on how matter evolved. The conclusion would allow science to prove string theory and therefore dark matter.

Nothing at all to do with string theory.

What has any of this got to do with the thread?

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Cofty, was that you, well go back to college mate. Return your degree if they gave you one, since you can’t understand commonality besides I’m not your mother to get hostile with me. Smart people yeah right!!!!!!!!!

The elusive Higgs boson, the so-called "God particle," may not have been discovered despite claims of it being detected, some scientists are saying.

Particle physicists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research announced 2 years ago they had discovered the Higgs particle, considered the foundation particle in the Standard Model of Particle physics, and a Nobel Prize was awarded to Peter Higgs and Francois Englert for their work on the theory of the Higgs boson.

Now, though, researchers at the University of Southern Denmark's Center for Cosmology and Particle Physics Phenomenology suggest that while the CERN scientists did discover a unique new particle, there's no conclusive evidence of it being the Higgs boson.

The Higgs could explain data obtained by CERN scientists using the Large Hadron Collider, but other particles could have created the data, suggesting there might be alternate explanations for it, they say in a paper published in the journal Physical Review D.

"The current data is not precise enough to determine exactly what the particle is," says university researcher Mads Toudal Frandsen. "It could be a number of other known particles."

One possibility is that the CERN team was seeing a theoretical particle dubbed the techni-higgs, he says.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit