Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

But, in respect to the original question, I have a theory. I MEAN, a hypothesis.

I just saw a Ted Talk last night that wasn't really on this subject.

The talk is about qualities of leadership, but something the guy said kind of relates.

He was making the point that with really successful leaders, whether that leader may be Apple or Rev. Martin Luther King, people weren't buying what they sold.

The guy kept saying throughout the talk, "People don't buy what you sell, they buy what you believe."

He talked about how this related to the way the brain functions.

And I think, ultimately, that's the problem with religious people. They buy into religion because it appeals to the part of their brain that is emotional, irrational.

For instance, I love my MacBook Pro. I would buy a brand new MacBook Pro tomorrow if I needed another one. Why? Because I believe it to be the best. But, on paper, the hardware isn't top of the line, the software isn't necessarily faster, etc. But, I buy into the belief that it is a quality product, and nothing you show me or say will change my mind because I LOVE MY MACBOOK PRO. Yes, it's irrational, but that's how I feel! I don't care that it's irrational! And, I haven't experienced enough discomfort to try the alternative.

Back to religion. How did I snap out of the religious, theist mindset? I was experiencing discomfort. EXTREME discomfort. So, I started listening to the rational part of my brain.

I dunno, does this make any sense?

PS. For those curious, here is the Ted talk I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Cappytan, Am I to understand then that an atheist can believe in evolution but suspend belief in abiogenesis until it is proven? And until it is proven does that mean his belief in abiogenesis is up in the air and could go either way? Truly? In practice though, is not abiogenesis a firm belief among atheists and one which atheistic scientists are hard at work trying to find evidence for.

Viviane: Why do you think it's admirable to respect a belief simply because it's "sincere"?

Remember we're talking those who believe in God and those who do not. Yes, if someone is sincere their belief or non-belief imo should be respected. Why? We are all intelligent adults free to make our own decisions on whether God exists or not.

• Clambake
    Clambake

This thread is taking on the tone of a secret elders meeting. Lots of smugness mixed with self congratulation mixed with an incredible vagueness.

• Simon
    Simon
    Still no answer as to why scientists make the claim that life originated from non-living matter without backing it up.

It has to, the only other explanation is that life has *always* existed which is impossible (or certainly, less plausible if being kind).

We're not going to know the 'how' for many things but hopefully the answers will become apparent as our knowledge and science improves - that has always been the case.

You know what else has always been the case? Religion retreats and is shown to know less, be wrong about more things and generally be irrelevant.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder if HMTM has actually bothered to get up to speed with the latest research on Abiogenesis ?

I rather think not, or such a claim as "Still no answer as to why scientists make the claim that life originated from non-living matter without backing it up." would surely not be made.

Yes, the Hypothesis is a way off from being graced with the Title of Scientific Theory, but not that far !

In recent times, the Creator God has retreated quite a bit more !

• cappytan
    cappytan
    HMTM: Am I to understand then that an atheist can believe in evolution but suspend belief in abiogenesis until it is proven? And until it is proven does that mean his belief in abiogenesis is up in the air and could go either way? Truly? In practice though, is not abiogenesis a firm belief among atheists and one which atheistic scientists are hard at work trying to find evidence for.

I can't speak for all atheists, but for me, personally, the answer is yes, I can "suspend belief." Actually, though, I don't believe in the current hypothesis on abiogenesis. I believe it could be plausible. But it hasn't been proven to me, so it's a question mark. And you know what? I'm okay with saying, "I don't know."

Question: When you come across something unknown, which of the following is more rational to say?

A: "I don't know."

B: "It must be magic."

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

I don't know but it could be magic? ;)

Enjoyed the conversation Cappytan. Thanks.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Interesting is it not that the more knowledge humanity gains of the world in which we live, the more invisible the gods tend to appear !

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Knowledge and science are the true enemies of religious faith. Why do you all think the WBTS likes their people uneducated and stupid? Note: This question is not directed at you all, it's for the consideration of lurkers.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    better now?

Not really, since you've not quantified "common" or "many". It doesn't really tell me anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit