Does Prayer Disprove the Watchtower?

by metatron 5 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Frequently, we look for simple, powerful arguments to disprove Watchtower nonsense. Perhaps we have missed the simplest one of all:

Prayer!

Are your prayers answered? Then it's game over! If Allah/Jehovah/Yahweh/The Goddess/Saint Jude/Mary/Zeus or whoever answers yor prayers, then all notions of "true religion" are garbage.

I marvel at the stupidity of Watchtower thinking such as a recent Awake article about using 'aids to worship' in prayers. If God grants your prayer, then rosary beads are OK, period, end of story. God says so.

Are Witlesses really willing to say that God only answers their prayers and no one else? Let's keep a prayer log and see who gets what. Winner gets to name the 'true religion'!

As it is, prayer means little to Witnesses, other than a ritual. Maybe you get led to someone wanting a Bible Study , but not much more than that in sterile Watchtowerland. Still, prayer might be a subversive topic for most Witlesses.

metatron

• Duncan
    Duncan

Good point Metatron.

Rather reminds me of that old illustration about prayer generally:

In Church of England Sunday services it is routine, at some point in the worship, to pray for the royal family, that God bless them with health, happiness and wisdom. This is done in countless thousands of churches, by millions and millions of church-goers. Every week. And has been for the last four hundred years.

There can be little doubt that the British royals are, in the whole history of the world, the single most prayed-for family ever. If prayer were even one-tenth of one percent effective, the Royals would be fit as Olympic Champions, and they'd all live to be 200.

And yet, there is not a shred of actuarial evidence that they live any longer or better than anyone else of their class. What advantages they actually do enjoy as regards healthcare and longevity are entirely explained by their wealth and social position.

What's happening to all those prayers?

• wobble
    wobble

Silly Duncan, none of those prayers were directed in the right way, through the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger......Amen !

Love

Wobble

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

My JW mother feels that her prayer was answered when the Witnesses called to her when I was a tot. But when I first started uncovering things about a year ago, I prayed like mad for guidance in what to do and all the time felt like I was being led away from, not toward, the Witnesses. So there's no pattern or logic there at all.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Perhaps they think everyone elses prayers are answered by the demunz in order to deceive them!

• chappy
    chappy

I was talking with a witness relative just a month ago about this very thing. She had stoped by to visit and bring me the latest mags and she wanted to know if I had acquired any humility toward "the organization" since we last spoke. "It's the only place that true worship can be found and practiced." I told her that I pray every day to my Father in search of truth. "Do you use his name when praying", she asked? "He's my Father, my Poppa and that's the way I address him", I said. She then proceeded to tell me that my prayers aren't even heard, much less answered, because of me not showing the proper respect by saying Jehovah, and even if I did use the name that He would only listen if I were asking for help in returning to his organization. I said, "Return to the WTS.....just like a dog returning to its own vomit? That's what MY Father told me that it would be like when he answered one of my earlier prayers about it!" Funny thing, she didn't stay very long after that. . . . later, chappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit