Flat Stanley

by LDH 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Guys my little one is doing a "Flat Stanley" project..... if you've never read the kids book, it's about a boy who has been flattened by a falling bulleting board. Written in the 60's. The best part about being flat, is, you can mail yourself to your friends in an envelope.

Each of the kids made a Flat Self, and my son's is ready to embark on a journey.

The goal is to see whose Flat Self travels the farthest..... and I'm sure my son's will win because of all of YOU guys!!!!! All over the world.

If you can accomodate receiving Flat Self, and writing a little note and perhaps sticking a pin or postcard in the envelope with Flat Self, and then returning it to me (so I can start the process all over again!!!!) that would be great.

You could even photograph yourself with Flat Self, Bisous perhaps sipping coffee at a French Cafe! and mail Flat Self and a picture back to me.

I don't want to impose, but if you would not mind helping, send me a confidential address via PM and I'll put a list together.

Theoretically Flat Stanley goes from one helper to the next, but I think to protect people's privacy I will have him come home to Fresno each time and I will re-mail him. I will send a couple of bucks to offset any expense you might bear in returning him home to us.

What do you say?

• Princess
    Princess

My son did this in second grade...he is now in sixth. We started off by sending it to Ross (LittleToe) in Scotland. When Ross received it he posted and someone called dibs and away it went! It was fantastic!

It's been too long for me to remember everywhere it went but Stanley flew around the world (and all over the US) that year thanks to the great people on JWD. As a bonus, many of the recipients sent candy or mementos from their country (or state in the case of Xenawarrior who sent cheesehead pencil toppers!) back to the classroom. It was amazing!

Here's the only thread I could find on it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87419/1.ashx

I'd be happy to get things started here in Edmonds, WA!

Rachel

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

send him on his way.... I bet he gets a tour of Oklahoma if you start him out.......

• LDH
    LDH

I have gotten so many PMs on this!

I've never done it before so I am really excited about this. Tomorrow Stanley is leaving for South Africa.

I've saved all the PMs received from this board....cause it's closing soon....

Anyone else want in on the action?

Rachel, as I understand you, it went directly from one poster to another? how did you handle confidentiality.....I would not want to expose anyone's identity because of the nutters....I was planning on having Stanley come home to me every time.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

To bad I didn't already have him ,we are heading out for a motorcycle ride next week covering four states !

• Princess
    Princess
    Rachel, as I understand you, it went directly from one poster to another? how did you handle confidentiality.....I would not want to expose anyone's identity because of the nutters....I was planning on having Stanley come home to me every time.

I wasn't under the pending board closure. I sent it to Ross. He posted that Stanley was ready to travel and another poster would claim it and away Stanley flew. Poster to poster, he was able to really travel that way. At that time, we were spending a lot more time on the board and I was familiar with everyone Stanley visited. If a potential nutter asked about Stanley, they were either ignored or there were others already waiting for him so it wasn't really a problem. The names and addresses were passed around via IM so nothing was every posted. I'll see if I can find our stash of Stanley postcards and letters and give you an idea of where he went.

Rachel

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'd be happy to help out. I'll PM you my info.

nj

• iloowy
    iloowy

We did Flat Stanley with the kids too. 3&4th grades.

But Flat Stanley ended up getting scanned and digitally photographed.

Then he was sent all over through the internet. It was big time then

with an AOL account and 28K modem. There were a lot of contacts in

oversees bases which added to the fun, so our Flat Stanley ended

up visiting Europe and Saudi Arabia. The request was for receivers

of Flat Stanley to un-digitize him by printing him then the person

would get themselves photographed with Flat Stanley and then emailed

back the photo or sent it by snail mail. We did a collage with a

World map in the middle and pinned all the locations, then tied

a yarn line to the pins connected to the photos all around the

world map. It was a great experience for young and old alike.

It's good to hear it's still getting sent around. The book is

a hoot for kids to read and re-read.

With regards.

--ILOOWY

• Princess
    Princess

We did the yarn map too. I forgot about that. I think Rhys ended up with his own map since his Stanley traveled the most of all the Stanleys in the class and it got to be a bit of a yarn mess.

I love the digitized version too.

R

• LDH
    LDH

I'm going to do the digitized version , too, what a great idea! I think I'm going to make color copies and laminate them at Kinko's and mail several at once...that way I can have a couple Stanleys in action and get lots of stamps from all over the world!

LOL @ Iloowy "big time" I know what you mean!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit