Weird conversation! My first run-in with an evangelical type other than D2D

by DoomVoyager 2 Replies latest jw friends

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

So yeah I am at work, and I was just kinda chatting with this other worker here. I've been here two weeks now, so I just met this guy two weeks ago, he works in the plant and I work in R&D so I don't see him a lot, but from the brief contact we've had he seems like a pretty cool guy with a slightly offbeat sense of humour. He's Puerto Rican or something.

Anyways he comes into the lab area where I am just now and we talked a bit, he says he wants to head home, but the rain is so hard he's going to wait a couple of minutes before he leaves. I say:

"Yeah, it's pretty nasty out there, isn't it."
    "No! Nasty will be when Lord Jesus comes to earth for his people and everyone else has to fight for their lives. That will be NASTY."
    "... ... ..."
    "Well, see ya!"

wtf. I expect all of you folks from the Bible Belt would have just blew that off but I've never met anyone who actually belived in all that Rapture business, other than a few oddballs met in D2D field circus.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

We have a million of those types around here. It annoys me to no end. I was going to a church that had great sermons, music, and kind people, but the rapture business was annoying me. Anyone who serves God just for a reward is nothing more than displaying spiritual materialism. We should serve God because out of love and not like the JWs and the rest of them who are following a dangling carrot.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My neighbor, who does believe in the rapture, btw, told me that when she was a kid, her neighors spent the night on the roof of their house once, thinking that the rapture was to happen that night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit