Trolley Dollies (Again) - With Sadness

by Joe Grundy 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

At 9.00 am, Saturday 14 March I was in the town centre of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK. A beautiful town with fine architecture.

Feeling replete after a full 'English Breakfast' and generally happy with life, I waited outside a bank, smoking a contemplative cigarette, whilst mu friend carried out his bank business. There were some fine women out and about.

Across the square, I noticed (no-one else seemed to) two JW literature carts. Nearby were some people (the dubs) sitting on a bench, drinking take-away coffee.

The man looked to be about 30 or so, and the woman somewhat younger. There was a baby in a push-chair. The woman (not unattractive by any means) sat on a bench in the square rocking the stroller to and fro. The guy stood with them and (I assume) their son. It was the boy I felt most sorry for. Aged about 7 or 8 I would guess, wearing 'meeting clothes', hair cut short with a parting, specs, - you could really guess that this kid would be bullied in school even if no-one knew he was a dub.

It was a cold morning, no fun at all. I smoked another cigarette (we all have our weaknesses!) and watched. No-one approached them or the carts, although there was a fair bit of foot traffic. The young woman was shivering.

I finished my cigarette and approached the trollies. I looked (I think) a medium sort of working guy. I looked at the stuff on the carts for quite some time. No approach from the guy at all. I selected a cellophane-bound very thin 'Watchtower' and 'Awake' packed back-to-back (March 2015, I think) and said to the guy 'Can I take this one? I'm really interested.) 'Yes, take it' he said, and that was the end of the conversation.

And that was it. No interest, no follow-up.

I was sad for the kid. He looked like he was the sort of kid who'd get picked on in school anyway, even without the dub stuff.

As for the wife - I will refrain from purely sexist and misogynistic comments - but I can think of things she might enjoy more than sitting on a cold bench.

So there we have 'trolley witnessing' - sitting on a bench in a cold square, no interest in or conversation with passers-by, even though they show a bit of interest and rake a magaxine.

My over-riding thoughts as I came away? First, does the geeky young kid have to pull a cart? Second (and I apologise in advance for this) has the yound wife ever had an orgasm without Jehovah watching?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Interesting comments....

No doubt that this kind of 'martyr-like' witness activity is becoming the new normal....

They don't seem to have any interest in actually TALKING with people! No, just let the literature do the talking for them!

Why not have a VENDING MACHINE that gives out free literature instead??

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    stuckinarut2 - Why not have a VENDING MACHINE that gives out free literature instead??
    I can think of two reasons. 1) The WTBTS needs to keep JWs too busy to think for themselves and doing something that they can brag about. 2) The WTBTS would rather not pay for vending machines, electricity, and possible rent when they have free labor.

I do feel sorry for the boy. I don't feel sorry for the parents, because they have the power to say "NO" to the elders.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,
    Robert
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"1) The WTBTS needs to keep JWs too busy to think for themselves and doing something that they can brag about..."

That's pretty what Watchtower's president gave as the reason why all the activity it compels JWs to engage in.

See: Why the unrelenting pressure for more and more organized religious activity?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the trolley work sounds like the original street work. Silent figures holding up magazines, never talking to the people as they pass by

Image result for jehovah's witnesses street witnessing

And before testimony cards, where Bible Students handed a card to the homeowner to read.

Or played a phonograph for the homeowner to listen to. Very little said by the jw.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    WT does have Vending machines - they are low maintenance - and the policy is to replace them with another one when they break down. These vending machines drive themselves to the vending point and feed themselves - So when the vending machine I am married to could not make the 1000 hours / annum trouble free service - [ she was an Uber-Vendor for 8 years - ] due to some internal defects - she was simply made obsolete.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit