Possible reason for book study change?

by Damocles 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Damocles
    Damocles

Is it possible that the Ws are eliminating the book study because they intend to stop printing books altogether?

In my experience, you can't go too far wrong in ascribing GB actions as responses to three stimuli: precedent, money, law. If two are involved, like the tax implications of selling literature, the Ws move swiftly and decisively irrespective of precedent.

The book study change makes little sense. Its flys in the face of strong precedent and prominent teachings. Its hard to find some legal justification. Its certainly no sweat off the GB's gonads if people go to more meetings. On the face of it, there doesn't seem to be much of a financial justification - unless they intend to stop making books. 'Book' studies require a steady supply of new books, though Lord knows they have little reluctance in using the same ones ad nauseum. Books cost money to write and to produce. Elimination of books could result in big money savings.

If this speculation be true, what's the implication for the mags?

Disclaimer: I apologize if I am turning over already plowed land and if I am reintroducing an idea previously proposed by another. I don't get onto the site often enough to know all that's been discussed.

Damocles

• halcyon
    halcyon

I just assumed it was a response to "fatigue". Meeting attendance is down, can't get it up through browbeating, so how about throwing people a bone and giving them one extra night off so there's no excuse not to make it the other two.

I also was under the assumption that the book study was going to still take place, just on the service meeting night.

Besides, when you try to cram more information into less time, there's less room for anyone to be able to think deeply. Skim for the answers and parrot the party line. No More Thinking, what a relief! (Thinking has already been eliminated from FS, just hide behind the mags, they'll speak for you.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

This is an interesting question, especially in light of the fact that the new arrangement will be considerably shortened in time, and now be called a 'Bible' study, instead of the 'book' study. I don't think they have a lot of new material to put out there. It seems like it's been the same old recycled crap for some time now. The society says their reason is to save the brothers and sisters gas money, but few of us on this board believe that.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Discontinuing printing books is only half of what they need to do. They also need to quit putting out washtowels, Asleeps, Kingdumb Miseries, and wastes of paper.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Well, that is an interesting point you make.

I am starting to think that the meeting which we all have until now known as the 'book study' has been eliminated due to the very connotation of its name. I strongly suspect that through the efforts of very many of those on this and other sites, the public has become aware of the indoctrination methods of Jehovah's Witnesses - that their so-called free HOME-BIBLE STUDY is not any such thing, it is in fact a BOOK STUDY; it has become more and more obvious to increasing numbers of people that by 'studying a book' with Jehovah's Witnesses, you become indocrinated into their cult. Therefore, better to rename it a Bible study, although still technically studying a book. Semantics, for sure.

As an aside, I notice weekly the increasing number of churches who have banners advertising their Alpha course, which I am not familiar with, but am advised is an actual Bible study. Certainly interesting times we are living in!

• halcyon
    halcyon

this is interesting about the Alpha course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_course

it has its critics, too ...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Thank you for that link, Halcyon...very informative...I guess it's not a Bible study per se...more of an overview of Christianity. Thanks for clarifying.

• searcher
    searcher

I read somewhere that Bible study is one of the criteria for aceptance as a religious charity, and that there was to be a review of charitable status, can anyone confirm this?

If so that would be a compelling reason to have a 'Bible Study'.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I would suggest it has all to do with perceived future legal problems ,and in turn MONEY. Consider this scenario.....young family takes kids to book study home ,bros get ready to be seated 5 year old Johnny rushes for seat ,trips on rug ,falls face first into home owners glass cabinet ,boy cut really badly ,taken to hospital doctors say he will die without blood transfusion ,while parents argue with doctors boy dies ........now who pays the bills since it is an officially GB sanctioned Jehovahs Witness meeting? Is the society willing to pay? Come forward the Society lawyers trying to minimize risk etc etc Interesting to think that we were always told to go to the BS for when the persecution starts we will know where our brothers are secretly and can rely upon each other in our group for protection and support ....and now they just throw that out the window!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit