Metallica-Death Magnetic

by still-fading 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• still-fading
    still-fading

Just picked up the new CD. All I can say is wow! They went back to old school sound! I'm very pleased! Best song I think is track 5, "All Nightmare Long" . Very impressed. Any thoughts out there?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

A friend of mine at work lent me his ipod for a few the other morning so I could check it out. I too was impressed. One of the things that I *hated* about the Bob Rock-produced albums was that they made James' vocals way too prominent in the mix. DM is closer to the sound of their earlier albums, with James voice as part of the music, not the central element.

They should do a nice long tour, be glad that they managed to put out a decent album after the horrid St. Anger, and call it a day. James/Lars/Kirk aren't ever going to catch lightning in a bottle again the way they did 1983-1987.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I LOVE this album! Talk about some blistering guitar riffs. My hand gets tired just thinking about playing at this speed.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

It's incredible. Thank god they went back to what they're good at.

This seems so appropriate.

• four candles
    four candles

This is a cracking album,back to their best,you can hear the maturity in the sound. I would recommend it to any one...............................................er,except my mum,who really would not appreciate it!....................But even so,she can rock with the best so I'll give it a try.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Speaking of Metallica, they are giving a concert in Tulsa, Oklahoma and my JW wife and her JW friend are planning to go. Is this okay with the Society? Wholesome entertainment that Jehovah would approve?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Leolaia, apparently the Death Magnetic tracks that you can download for Guitar Hero are much less compressed -

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

I don't know much about P2P and torrenting, but if the GH versions are available via these methods and become the default versions that fans have on their computers, then maybe this will be what turns the tide in the "Loudness War".

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I am really sick and tired of the ridiculous dynamic range compression being used in current mixing.

Wow, it's rare that I come across someone else that is sick of this too! They seem to do it to make the CD sound "louder", but the lack of dynamic range on modern CDs is horrible and decreases the sound quality IMO.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I don't know much about P2P and torrenting, but if the GH versions are available via these methods and become the default versions that fans have on their computers, then maybe this will be what turns the tide in the "Loudness War".

How ironic, considering their longstanding criticism of P2P. I went to the Metallica website to learn how I can 'legally' get the GH version of the album and this is what they say:

Anytime after 2:00 AM PDT on Friday, September 12, you can get "Death Magnetic" for GHIII at the Xbox LIVE Marketplace for a cost of 1,440 Microsoft Points and in the Playstation store for PS3 at a cost of $17.99.

I don't own a Playstation or Xbox console, so in order to 'legally' get an undamaged copy of the album, I would have to pay $18 plus the cost for a Sony Playstation, what is it, $350 bucks for a console? How do I rip the songs from the console to the computer? Or how do you convert the downloaded GH files (with DRM?) directly to mp3? What propriatory format are they in? And I went to the Playstation store (http://store.playstation.com) and I was not even able to find the download.

If they don't want fans to use P2P, why make it such a hassle to get a properly-mixed version of the album?

Wow, it's rare that I come across someone else that is sick of this too! They seem to do it to make the CD sound "louder", but the lack of dynamic range on modern CDs is horrible and decreases the sound quality IMO.

It's kind of funny that when CDs came out they were touted as having a far wider dynamic range capability than vinyl, and now vinyl is the format you have to dig around for in order to get any dynamic range.

Mind you, some of my '80s albums are too quiet even for me if I am listening to them on my iPod, so I often digitally adjust the loudness anyway but I still maintain most of the peaks and lows. But today everything is squished in the upper limit of the decibel range and the sound already comes on the CD audibly clipped -- data lost altogether. The worst example I've heard of is Black Eyed Peas' Elephunk which has over 10 seconds of clipped peaks throughout the album. I wonder if Death Magnetic has surpassed that, if it is as bad as people say?

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

80s Metallica which had an almost classical virtuosity

See if you can get find a copy of Helstar - Nosferatu, a clasically inspired speed/power metal album recorded in 1989. You will not be dissapointed. Pretty much destroys Metallica in every way, except for raw energy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit