Can You Accept the Fact

by Fadeout 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

...that someone may choose a different course of action than you would under the same circumstances?

What about someone who forms an opinion on an issue that's different from yours? Can you accept that?

Or do you think... 'They must be ignorant,' or 'They must be lying, 'or 'They must be made to see the error of their ways,' or 'They must be eliminated'?

It's easy to get caught up in thinking that having the right opinion or right belief is what's important. It's not. What's far more important, and ultimately, fundamental to humanity's ongoing quest for truth, is not having the right opinion, but having the right to an opinion.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I disagree with you. You're wrong, totally wrong!

StAnn

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

If we are talking opinions, yes. However, when a high percentage of the factors are facts, and the optimal choice is very strongly indicated, and a person goes another route, they are more likely to be branded an idiot.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

I agree with you and many members here have taken a very rigid stance against the JW's faith, yet paradoxically they are here because the WTS has been rigidly against them. As a JW, there is no room for differing opinions, or room to 'agree to disagree'. The WTS requires unwavering and unquestioning loyalty, so those who disagree with them and their tactics can't necessarily accept them as just having a difference of opinion.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

It has taken me half a lifetime, but I am more accepting of differing views now.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes - but it is still not easy to accept

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Different opinions are fine. Just not stupid ones.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I find the deprogramming amusing at times when it comes to opinions. That's one thing I found difficult at first which was throwing away the ridged party lines that developed over time.

• yknot
    yknot

Yep, I do it all the time

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

when I chat with my JW friends who are still active it helps me to see the progress. All I have to do is question a policy and the defense goes up. This is the current opinion and blah blah blah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit