Hey, are there any real Italians here or otherwise into Italian cuisine?

by zagor 8 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

How would you prepare a perfect Italian dinner? I’ve got some guests tomorrow night and I thought Italian dish would be perfect, but what would you do?
    Got some original red Italian wine already as well as olive oil, pasta and whole mozzarella but of course that’s not enough, so we're just making a list of what else to get later in the evening.
    But before we do that it would be rather helpful to attack this with some sort of a plan. Someone once told me about their special Italian chicken or duck dish but I've forgotten the details.
    So any suggestion would be appreciated while we are making the shopping list.
    I think background music is sorted with Some Andrea Bocelli and il Divo but I might be wrong, any suggestion there?

any input will be appreciated.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Ciao, Zagor!

While the reply function refused to work, I was boiling up some pasta and doing a zesty tomato sauce. Just completed everything, including the scarfing it down part, within 30 minutes. Just past midnight and reporting to you.

It's a rare day that I have no pasta as I grew up on Mediterranean fare (family origins). My family was all the way from authentic (some owning ristorantes) cucina or cuisine to the low-end that Mom called slum-gum.

My grub is simple and quick. Typical spaghetti dishes with lots of fresh garlic added to the meat browning in a cast iron skillet to which I add tomato puree once the ground chuck or round is thoroughly cooked. Oregano, fresh Italian parsely (added last so it doesn't wilt troppo), maybe basil. I remove the sauce promptly from the skillet as it reacts taste-wise with the cast iron. Of course, the sauce tops the already al dente pasta (I really prefer fettuccine or linguine), which is topped further with EV olive oil and grated romano and/or bread crumbs.

I love eggplant parmesan which, for me, is essentially the above sans the pasta.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm fat and happy - for the moment, anyway!

Buon appetito!

CoCo della cucina

• zagor
    zagor

Sound yummy CoCo, girls here just read your replay and are having that Vampire look in their eyes with mouth water almost dripping down instead of blood, lmao.
    Awesome matey, we’ll take it into consideration.

Ringrazio il mio amico!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

don't forget the basil - the italian half of my family always use it with mozarella

chicken in white wine and large sweet peppers is delicious.

here is a similar recipe to the one I've used

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2003/roman/chicken.html ql

• zagor
    zagor
    chicken in white wine and large sweet peppers is delicious.

Ahhh, you’re killing me, I can already taste it..

Awesome quietlyleaving, thank you very much we just might do that one, sounds really delicious.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Something I enjoy are tortellini (either meat or cheese). You can even mix things up a little by getting the kind that has spinach included in the pasta.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Do you have an Italian store in your neighborhood? You can serve great appetizer from the deli , Italian cheese, olives, meats. Fresh italian bread with olive oil. Sometimes you can purchase frozen dough to make a simple Tuscan style pizza. For dessert ask for un filled canolli shells that you can fill fresh. Amaretti cookies, some spumoni with fresh fruit and wine are good for dessert too.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I love veal parmesan and cheese & spinach manicotti.

alt

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

chicken, beef or pork cacciatore - saute the protein, in whatever size pieces you want. Saute onions and garlic and red or green or yellow peppers, all cut in strips. Use olive oil for sauteing. Put it all together with stewed tomatoes, a little oregano, cook until tender. You can add chicken broth or wine for more flavor. Garnish with basil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit