Was Cheops actually Job?

by cameo-d 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Do witnesses teach that the builder of the pyramid, Cheops, was actually Job?

I read somewhere that the "Ch" sound was pronounced like "J" and that this had something to do with the name being translated with a J.

Knowing how the witness have an affinity for substituting J for Y and probably a lot of other letters, too, I wondered if I read this in some WT lit. a while back. (???)

• dawg
    dawg

Don't know, did they have similar history... or myth?

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

cameo-d

No. Khufu (Cheops) was pharaoh of Egypt in the 4th dynasty. Job was believed to have been a contemporary of Moses....well after Khufu built his pryamid.

The two other pryramids were built by Kafre (son of Khufu) and by Mencaure (son of Kafre).

• siy
    siy

dont mention pryamids to a jw it makes them go sweaty on there nice white shirts, iv seen it happen

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Job was believed to have been a contemporary of Moses....well after Khufu built his pryamid.

and this supposition is based on what, please?

Is this a teaching from WT that is just "commonly accepted"?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"I read somewhere that the "Ch" sound was pronounced like "J" and that this had something to do with the name being translated with a J."

LOL, actually in Greek, it was more like "KHAY-ops". But that was a rough approximation of the original Egypytian Khufu. And the sound you are thinking of for "J" (palatal fricative) exists in English, not in Hebrew (where the sound is a "Y"). No, I can't think of any resemblance between a suffering patriarch and a mighty pharaoh of Egypt. The Bible Student belief, I think, is that the builder of the pyramid was Melchizedek.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

dont mention pryamids to a jw it makes them go sweaty on there nice white shirts, iv seen it happen

Why is that? Is it because they are embarassed that maybe russell was a little nuts? or isit because they really don't have any well trained answers for those questions? Or some other reason?

Do real jws have certain beliefs about the pyramid stuff? Or are they taught its old and phased out now?

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

cameo-d

It is true that the author of Job is unknown. Some Bible scholars who have no connection with the Watchtower have speculated that the author could have been Moses, Solomon, Isaiah, etc. There simply is no way to tell.

Why do you think that there is a connection between Job and Cheops? There doesn't appear to be anything in the book of Job that makes this link. Nor is there anything in the scant records of Cheops (Khufu) that would make one draw this conclusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit