Passing of a JDub Sisters Jazz Musician husband

by ShirleyW 2 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Don't know how many of you are truly what I would call a "jazz-aholic", but Jimmy Cleveland passed this past Saturday, he was well known back in the 40's until 80's as an outstanding musician who played with ALL the greats, you can search his name and just find out how major he was, but, the reason you probably didn't read about it in any daily publication is that his wife Janet is a JDub and probably didn't want to alert the wordly media. She was a piano teacher in the Queens, New York area from the 60's up until they moved to California in the 80's, while they were here in NYC he was a part of Merv Griffin's studio band, when he had his late night talk show

She was a singer back in the 40's under the name of Janet Thurlow, Quincy Jones even mentions her in his book as giving him some good advice about his career, wonder how well they know each other . . . ???

I contacted the editor who handles Jazz and other musicians at the NY Daily News and he said he hadn't even heard about it, and this guy writes obits for those old R&B and Jazz greats that just did back up studio work for the major musicians ! ! ! He said he'll try and find and appropriate place to post of Jimmy's passing.

Anyone from the California area know of a Sis. Janet Cleveland?

• Rooster
    Rooster

Well its good that he died because he would have been destroyed @ Armageddon!

Hope he didn't try to pull off a death bed confession!

• DNCall
    DNCall

I knew Janet and met Jimmy on a couple of occasions. Janet played violin in the convention orchestras in LA. They lived in the Lynwood area of LA.

Jimmy was a marvelous trombonist. A great example of his sound is the introduction to "How Insensitive" from the famous Jobim/Ogerman sessions.

DNCall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit