Film about Jehovah's Witnesses submitted to the Oscars

by MegaDude 7 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

http://reelsuave.com/2008/08/22/worlds-apart-is-send-to-the-oscars/

The Danish film institute has picked up Niels Arden Oplev’s “To verdener” (Worlds Apart) to represent Denmark in contention for the foreign language film Oscar.

The film looks into the life of the daughter of a Jehovah’s Witness who falls in love with a nonbeliever was a big hit in its home country. It was screened in the recent Tribeca Film Festival and the Generation 14 plus section of the Berlin Film Festival.

“Worlds Apart,” which was produced by Thomas Heinesen for Nordisk Film, has been picked up for U.S. distribution by IFC Entertainment.

This year the Academy has invited more than 90 countries to submit films for the foreign language Oscar consideration. Deadline for submission is Oct 1, the nomination will be announced on the 22nd of Jan and the ward ceremony will be on the Feb 22.

--------------------------------------------------- also...

an interview with the director:

http://www.dfi.dk/tidsskriftetfilm/62/worldsapart.htm

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I can see it now, the wt legal dept shows up to accept the Oscar on behalf of Jehovah.

• blondie
    blondie

You're just kidding, right? The WTS did not make this film............. I wonder what a film like this would do in the US?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

My understanding is that this film is unsympathetic to witness ideology, perhaps even condemning. If that is so, let's hope it gets great press!

• justhuman
    justhuman

FDS will bann this film for JW's to see. Soon there will be announcements in the KM, about this film, and any JW who will dare to watch this "apostate"film it will be disfellowshiped...Plus this is a fact(the film)that "God's" people are persecuted by the Devil and his agents....

The end is so close now

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Remember the Kevin Costner movie "A perfect World" with the little Witness kid?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Kevin Costner? I suspect that not very many people remember any movie he made after the Waterworld disaster...what was the role of that little kid?

• compound complex
    compound complex

He was a little dub. I seem to recall his mom talking to him about Halloween being from Satan ... or some such.

Did KC kidnap him? Film directed by Clint Eastwood. A sister said CE "should have known better."

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit