Clothing and appearance guidelines from the Bible...how do the JWs justify?

by insearchoftruth 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I was looking at a listing of some of the clothing/appearance guidelines from the Bible and I was wondering how the WTS works around the below scriptures. I know they have sited 1 Corinthians 11:14-15 with respect to men and long hair, but the sister who is studying with my wife, and married to the PO has very short hair, how is this justified??
    The items from OT scripture, such as the woman wearing garments pertaining to a man and the mixing of woolen and linen were most likely swept under the rug with the lifting of the mosiac law.

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." -- Deuteronomy 22:5
    "Women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." -- 1 Timothy 2:9
    "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel." -- 1 Peter 3:3
    Don't wear garments with wool and linen blended together. (I am guessing this changed for the JWs with the lifting of the mosaic laws)
    "Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, as of woolen and linen together." -- Deuteronomy 22:11
    "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." -- 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

One other question pertaining to this, the mosiac law was lifted by the 'ransom sacrifice' in the NT. Since the NT is written to the anointed, is it the mediator arrangement between the anointed and the 'great crowd' that lifts the mosaic law for the great crowd.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Insearchoftruth,

You can't really get too literal with these scriptures. They are really hard to apply 100% in the modern world but you can see the spirit behind some, e.g. not going overboard with too much adornment. But how do you apply the one about blended fabrics in the modern day world? Really, you can't unless you spun your own fabrics. This is crazy.

As far as the one about women having long hair: the JWs do not want to be mistaken for other fundamentalist religions so they will not really follow this one about urging women to have long hair. I have even heard of some instances where if a JW female has super long hair somebody will say something to her about it. But, they WILL follow the scripture with regard to criticizing a man with long hair as being shameful.

I feel it is really about JWs having a 'business like' appearance to the world.

LHG

• undercover
    undercover
    You can't really get too literal with these scriptures.

Like the Watchower Society hasn't...

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, and also about the business like appearance and women wearing skirts and dresses.

In the biz world, women wear clothing that include pants that men would never ever consider wearing.

Why can't women wear women's clothing that include pants?

The biz world does and has for years.

They are women's pants. Guys wouldn't wear them, so why the prohibition based on not wearing guys clothing. They don't do that anyway in the biz world.

• undercover
    undercover
    so why the prohibition based on not wearing guys clothing. They don't do that anyway in the biz world.

Depends on the company. I know of some large companies that require women to wear business suits with skirts. No dresses...skirts and blouses with a jacket. No exposed arms. Pantyhose required. No sandals or open toed shoes. The men had to wear suits, no facial hair, no long hair, no jewelry above the neck.

Dress codes like those make the JWs look relaxed.

But you are correct...it's all about projecting a professional appearance. It's a business tactic and has nothing to do with being a Christiain or using Christian Freedom. I realized that myself when some elders were paying a sheparding call and I questioned the beard prohibition. I handed my Bible to the elder and asked him to show me where the principle was that deemed beards offensive. He used the example that many large corporations set dress codes so that it's representatives do not embarrass the company. It hit me right then....we weren't Christian ministers...we were marketing reps.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

I wish the ladies could wear tight jeans to the hall. That would get the numbers up among other things

• Calico Ethel
    Calico Ethel

I just remember that when I went as a teenager, I used to wear short skirts. Until they started having talks about it, then my sister told my mom that I shouldn't wear short skirts anymore and that the test was if I knealt on the floor the skirt should touch the floor at least. So my mom asked me to do that for a bit, but then she thought it was stupid, so she stopped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit