COULD there possibly be a world with out a GOD...

by zeroday 8 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

SAY an alien world contacted us and discovered Earth was populated with theists and they were shocked and suprised people of another world would believe in a god...would we be suprised shocked or just shaken to our core...could there possibly be a universe with out god...

• changeling
    changeling

I don't know if there is a "creator" of some sort, but the concept of "god" is man made. So, I guess creatures of an alien world would indeed find it odd that in our world most do believe in imaginary beings.

changeling

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

They'd probably look at monotheism the way monotheists view polytheism; a trait of a primitive culture. They'd just pat us on our heads and say "awwww isn't that precious."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I could imagine a world without a God. It would be paradise. People would actually get to reap what they sow, not have some Almighty Lowlife Scumbag God throw out their good decision and make crap ones in their place, and then impose the crap decisions on people. That would end virtually all the wars and strife among nations. And there would be more likely a truly free market where people could compete on a level playing field without certain people being locked out.

And no Jehovah's Witlesses.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A universe without a god is like a field of grass without a king;)

S

• HB
    HB

I have thought about this myself in the past, and I feel that it is likely there are intelligent beings on another planet in this or another universe who have developed a cohesive society without a god.

I picture two scenarios, firstly if the alien beings had similar origins and development to earthlings with brains like ours and culture like ours, it is likely that initially they would have needed to invent creation myths and supernatural belief systems similar to our earthly religions. But if their civilization had existed for much longer than ours, so that their understanding of science and philosophy had matured and if their planet's education system had been effective, by now they may have outgrown the need for religion.

Or maybe if this alien species had very different origins and development to ours, they never had the need for belief in magic, superstition and religion in the first place. Not exactly a parallel but I am thinking of the society of humans created by test-tube in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World".

I agree with the Sacrificial Loon that the visitors would think earthlings with faith were primitive and quaint, in the same way most of us would react if we visited a remote tribe on earth today where they still believe that they must make food offerings to their carved wooden gods or pour the blood of a white goat on a particualr rock if they want the harvest to succeed.

But the point of the original question was to ask how we humans would react to the knowledge that there was a successful society without a god. I think most deeply religious people would not change their views whatever evidence was given.

I am not sure about Muslims, Jews, Buddhists etc but I think committed Christians would just feel sorry for the aliens for missing out on the "joy" they personally experience, and would probably try to convert them. They would view them the same way they view an atheist, as misguided and blind.

But the knowledge may have a profound effect on the countless people who are not quite sure whether there is a god or not. It would depend on how happy and successful the godless alien society was and how they organised themsleves and formed their moral codes.

The first question I would want to ask the aliens would be whether, without religion, war existed on their planet. I am thinking of the John Lennon song 'Imagine'.... "Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try, No Hell below us, above us only sky, Imagine all the people, living life in peace. Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for and no religion too. Imagine all the people living life in peace.............................."

• searcher
    searcher
    COULD there possibly be a world with out a GOD...

There already is one..............this one.

When mankind grows up we will acheive the utopia of a world without the belief in a god.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Gods reside and were created out of ignorance in the human imagination, remove the ignorance and all the gods will disappear.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    SAY an alien world contacted us and discovered Earth was populated with theists and they were shocked and surprised people of another world would believe in a god...

The aliens would smell a rat when they discovered that the theists believe that god is made in the image of man.

Viewing us as little more than intelligent monkeys they would point out that god is made in the image of aliens.

Then we would have something more to fight about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit