when did JWs start and stop useing Deutichland uber alles?

by dogon 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dogon
    dogon

I can remember singing the song but can any one post a link to when it was incorporated and when it was dropped? What song was it?

Thanks

• blondie
  • GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

They did not sing the lyrics "Deutschland über alles" but song 64 "Zion's Glorious Hope" (Zions Herrliche Hoffnung) from the Bible Student's songbook was sung to the same tune of Haydn that was used for the German anthem. The Songbook was in the songbook from at least 1905, the tune was used for the German anthem from 1922. Hope that helps.

• dogon
    dogon

I knew it was not the lyrics. When I hear the song deutchland uber alles I can still remember singing it in the hall.

• Rohag
    Rohag

I don't know if this is the same as the Witness hymn, but I distinctly remember "Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken, Zion City of Our God" by the Anglican hymnist John Newton from a time when I visited a church. When the congregation began singing, I experienced a brief moment of "!?!?!?!?."

• Atlantis
  • eyeslice
    eyeslice

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with using any tune (within reason) as a hymn.

If I recall correctly, after the re-unification of Germany, they used a different tune to for the national anthem but popular opinion was to revert back to the original. Similarly, the Russian Federation changed the tune to its national anthem after the collapse of the old Soviet Union but have gone back to the original.

There have been a number of 'tunes' dropped by the society over the years because of their worldly origins. The problem is they don't have composers quiet as good as Haydn.

Also, even the Germans don't actually sing Deutichland uber alles (Germany over all) because of its associations with the past.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Wow! That is interesting. I only remember the old green song book and "Zion Most Happy Place" or something like that was my fav. Unfortunately it was a "worldly" tune and was dropped. Always hated the new song book. Unsingable melodies and keys. Anyone remember how horrible the first tapes were of "Kingdom Melodies" with orchestra??????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit