Oppressive wolves. Who are they according to the wtsociety?

by bereanbiblestudent 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

The following quotes show some of the views in wt publications about who the opressive wolves are:

"He”—this is the one to be revealed. “He” is the one referred to in verse three as “that man of sin,” “the son of perdition.” Notice how Paul describes them at Acts 20:29, 30: “I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.” These apostate leaders of professed Christians were to grow in strength and influence, and as soon as the restraint was out of the way they would take over." w68 4/1 p18 so they are christian leaders of churches other then jw's

"In time, apostate “oppressive wolves” appeared and did “not treat the flock with tenderness.” But how glad we are that elders among Jehovah’s Witnesses do not practice such tyranny! " w89 9/15 p16 So they are apostate wolves

"The expression “that evil slave” draws our attention to Jesus’ preceding words about the faithful and discreet slave. Yes, the “evil slave” came from the ranks of the faithful slave.* How? 3 Before 1914, many members of the faithful slave class had high hopes of meeting with the Bridegroom in heaven that year, but their hopes were not fulfilled. As a result of this and other developments, many were disappointed and a few became embittered. Some of these turned to ‘beating’ their former brothers verbally and consorting with “confirmed drunkards,” religious groups of Christendom.—Isaiah 28:1-3; 32:6. 4 These former Christians came to be identified as the “evil slave,” and Jesus punished them with “the greatest severity.” How? He rejected them, and they lost out on their heavenly hope. They were not, however, immediately destroyed. They first had to endure a period of weeping and gnashing of teeth in “the darkness outside” the Christian congregation. (Matthew 8:12) Since those early days, a few other anointed individuals have shown a similar bad spirit, identifying themselves with the “evil slave.” Some of the “other sheep” have imitated their unfaithfulness. (John 10:16) All such enemies of the Christ end up in the same spiritual “darkness outside.”
    *and the footnote to this said:"In a comparable way, after the death of the apostles, “oppressive wolves” came from the ranks of anointed Christian elders.—Acts 20:29, 30." "w06 3/1 p2 So they are anointed christian elders now known as Bible Students who defected from the society

But how glad we are that elders among Jehovah’s Witnesses do not practice such tyranny! w 89 9/15
    Why can oppressive wolves not point to elders in our time?
    Have elders in this time really never acted as oppressive wolves?

Elders that act oppressive seem to be protected by the view that they are not implied, have you ever tried to say that elders acted oppressive and noticed how you are looked upon. You are not forgiving enough that is why you look at the elders faults he is just a human with mistakes etc.. Are some of the replies you might get.
    You have to forgive 77 times. Yet if an elder is making the same "mistake" of being oppressive over and over again and not just with 1 person but with a whole lot of people, without telling that he is sorry, should you forgive him or should he be warned and after some time should he no longer be serving as an elder?
    Yet everytime he does it is looked at, as the first time since the previous time is supposed to be forgiven even if he has not said that he is sorry.
    It looks to me that the scipture in acts 20:29,30 speaks of 2 sort of people oppressive wolves that do not treat the flock with tenderness (elders) and men that will rise from within the church that will speak twisted things (apostates) and even when an elder or a priest etc. can turn apostate the second group does not have to be from amongs them.

I do not say that all elders are oppressive, yet some might very well be and by not saying so, many witnesses that have encountered behaviour like that might stop going to meetings or end up on apostate websites so it seems strange to me that the wt society would not protect the flock and say it like it is. That some elders are oppressive wolves and that action against them should be taken by first warning them and secondly if they would not listen they should no longer serve as elders.

What do you think is meant by oppressive wolves?

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

If a catholic clergy did something oppressive the WT would say see they are wolves. if an elder does it they say even elders make mistakes, forgive them. There are so many accounts of this type of thing here on JWD and other site that the 77X is done out. It is just a well worn out excuse.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

people like me - I pretend to be a sheep but really I am an arch apostate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit