And this was how it was a little ok to go to college...

by Inquisitor 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I don't know how the situation sits with the congregations these days in light of certain overt anti-education directives.

See Seeker4's thread Fallout from GB anti-College...

But where I grew up as a Witness... there was an unwritten loophole (among the R&F) that made going to university "palatable" to the Witnesses.

If you were going to uni to be trained it certain professions it was deemed worth the sacrifice made. It was believed that:

LAWYERS could defend the WTS from the menace of government oppression, aiding in the release of incarcerated bros and sis.

LAWYERS would have sharp oratory skills. If you're a bro. this was desirable as you reach out facilitate your hierarchical promotion by the BOE. If you lack a penis, boohoo, avoid law school.

DOCTORS (GPs) and DENTISTS could offer free or affordable medical consultations to Bethel members or congregational members. But this career is not as easily defensible. The more annoying members of the congregation would be quick to point out that in the New World there would be no need for "physicians".

ARCHITECTS/ENGINEERS are much desirable. Indispensable for quick-build Kingdom Halls and Paradisaic dwellings.

This is a good example of JDub rationalising. No Witnesses are not necessarily stupid at all. Just trapped by their own fears and the WTS' grip. They do think, but within certain confines... We sometimes lose sight of this fact.

INQ

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Even years ago, there were great contradictions among Jehovah's Witnesses about college educations. While it was vilified and discouraged for the youth in the congregations who had to choose future vocations, it was a source of great pride if a college educated person became a member in the congregation. This person would soon have an "elite" status among the membership. Since such people also had better incomes, elders and visiting overseers would often cozy up to them for the perks they could offered.

I recently talked with a former elder whose children are going to the college. I asked him if the Society had changed its stance on this subject. He said that it had not.

Pahpa

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

I recently talked with a former elder whose children are going to the college. I asked him if the Society had changed its stance on this subject. He said that it had not.

And no one else wanting to go to college can point to this elder's children being considered OK, because according to Gerrit Losch it would be comparable to shooting oneself in the mouth and "surviving" because they heard of someone else doing that and being cured of their OCD.

• yknot
    yknot

At my first KH, all were expected to go to college and Bethel.

My entire college and theocratic career was mapped out before I was 5 yrs old.

BTW rumor is that Losch doesn't agree with the college restrictions but hey if you are a company man and wanna take over someday you gotta tow the partyline!.....

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

BTW rumor is that Losch doesn't agree with the college restrictions but hey if you are a company man and wanna take over someday you gotta tow the partyline!.....

If what you say is true, then what kind of hypocrisy is that?

I was at a 'for those interested in Gilead' meeting at a DC once and heard another member of the GB say that he knows what the Society says about college, but despite that he said, "We need a Certified Public Accountant." So add that to the list of OK reasons to go to college - but only if you plan on using your skills at Bethel.

• yknot
    yknot
    If what you say is true, then what kind of hypocrisy is that?

A pyramid scheme !!!!!

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Another contradiction that existed in the Watchtower organization was the pride Jehovah's Witnesses had that Fred Franz was offered a "Rhodes Scholarship." To them, it was a mark of distinction and honor. It gave him greater status in his position as "the oracle of the Watchtower." Of course, Jehovah's Witnesses also note the fact he did not pursue that course but chose life in the tower instead. I wonder if this is not one of the reasons that the leadership at Bethel is anti-college?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit