Is anything holy?

by Half banana 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Holy: specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated

This first definition meets the OP as the "holiness" is applied and is not intrinsic.

Holy: having a spiritually pure quality:

I'm not sure I know what "spiritually pure" means. I'm assuming it refers to the motives and actions of thinking agents that meet some sort of standard. Though, what metric is used for that standard - and how you tell "spiritually pure" actions from "spiritually impure" actions - is beyond me. But something tells me it's going to be an entirely subjective and extremely broad standard.

I do quite like this definition though. Probably comes closest to my use of the word -

Holy: inspiring fear, awe, or grave distress:
  • rmt1
    rmt1
    Recommend Carl Sagan's Contact, page 153, where he talks about the 'numinous'.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Swiss Cheese:

• Half banana
    Half banana

It’s clearly a mistake to use the word ‘holy’ as the puns are just irresistible! Instead I’ll use the equivalent word ‘sacred’ ...any puns on sacred? Errr, no, don’t think so...

My thought is that ”nothing is sacred”...how can it be since sacredness is a human construct and objects and places cannot declare they are holy or sacred. They are ‘set apart’ (= sacred) not by themselves but by the collective feelings of communities. As for holy people, if they say they are 'holy' then that immediately disqualifies them from being so. As Spike Milligan said “My uncle was a great man, he told me so himself.” The governing body have recently declared themselves to be holy ones by virtue of being the anointed of God...what a bunch of clowns!

They are conspicuously unholy...but does anyone think holiness/sacredness is real?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit