Is anything holy?

by Half banana 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

Is anything holy?

I would maintain that holiness can only come from the attitude of people ascribing something as holy. Holiness never comes from the "holy" object, spirit or humans described as being holy.

If you believe that something is holy are you not saying that you are therefore obligated to respect it?

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Do socks and underwear count?
  • Half banana
    Half banana

I don’t know about yours Cappy but my underwear and socks are indeed holy but since no one else sees much of them they tend not to receive enough worship.

Isn’t holiness the governing principle at the foundation of the whole Watchtower and religious delusion? To be a believer you need to succumb to the irrational notion that you are subject to the power of something holy?

What is it which says something is holy? It’s the cult managers who decide what is good and bad karma. The ones who claim the Bible is holy and that they are the only interpreters of it...just like all the mullahs and rabbis, priests and cultists.

Holiness surely comes from human social beliefs only; what god ever spoke? What animal ever worshipped?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Hole-y socks & underwear!! :)
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    I tell you what -- Watchtower doctrine sure is holey.
  • DesirousOfChange
  • M*A*S*H
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I see the joke that I came in here to do has already been done to death haha. I guess I'll have to go with a serious response in lieu of that.

I suppose it depends on your perspective. When viewed objectively, it is obvious that nothing is intrinsically holy. When viewed by someone who presupposes that something is holy, it's holiness must be viewed as an intrinsic quality. Such is the nature of religion (and in a broader sense, confirmation bias) - when you set out to prove something that is unprovable (i.e. that something possesses the immaterial quality of "holiness") you'll often find that it's very easy - at least to prove it to yourself.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I certainly do not believe that any particular place on Earth should be considered "Holy", i.e The temple Mount in Jerusalem.

Yes, certain Sites should be safeguarded as part of the heritage of all humans, but not made "Holy" by one group to the exclusion of others.

"Holy" books are a joke too, they are all written by men. Again, preserve them for posterity, but don't make a fetish of them.

Having said that, some people give off an air of "holiness" or "sainthood" or whatever you wish to call it. Often such people are not religious, they just have that quality. They are intrinsically holy in themselves.

They are also extremely rare.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is anything holy?

..........................Donuts......................................WBT$ A-Holes..

Image result for glazed donut....Image result for Watchtower stephen lett

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit