Isaac Hayes Died

by Justitia Themis 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/index.html

(CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Singer Issac Hayes seen performing in the U.K. last year. Hayes was found dead Sunday at age 65.

Singer Issac Hayes seen performing in the U.K. last year. Hayes was found dead Sunday at age 65.

alt

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Schular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967.

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" became a pop hit and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

| Mixx it | Share
  • Gregor
    Gregor

I am trying to remember. Wasn't there some kind of screw up with his Academy Award performance a few years ago? Can anyone refresh my memory?

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Wasn't he the voice for Chef on South Park?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

too many deats recently ... i smell conspiracy

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was in Memphis this year to take a friend to the Isaac Hayes Club there and it was closed.

Great place to go for food and music.

I am sorry to hear about his death.

Bernie Mac, Morgan Freeman,,actually in Memphis in the hospitol from his car wreck and now Isaac Hayes..............hmmmm

purps

• Layla33
    Layla33

What a shame. I am sorry to hear of it.

• FreudianSlip
  • UnConfused
    UnConfused

Wow, I hadn't heard. RIP Chef

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

What a shame, and he wasn't really that old either. I believe: 65.

Geez, what a pity.

Yes, he was the voice of 'Chef' on South Park.

His music, words and lyrics will continually live on.

Absolutely!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit