Where's the Worldly Witness

by philo 8 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

A few months back there was a very busy poster called WW (worldly witness). I was thinking about his rise and fall today, and this is where it took me.

Whether Jehovah's Witnesses as individuals are 'part of the world' or not, the billion-dollar corporations which administer JW activity, receive their donations, their devotion, and their unquestioning obedience, cannot easily be described as "no part of the world". And as for day-to-day JW culture, many of us who have spent a few years on the 'inside' know that many things there change roughly in line with society at large - 'the world'. JW fashions in clothes and music, for instance, may lag sulkily behind 'the mainstream', but they still change, and they are still 'worldly' fashions. The WTBTS line always emphasises 'fashions, fads, crazes, manias, etc' as if these things were of little value, 'just a little gloss', but such trends in reality transmit our values whether they be about frocks made of dollar bills, food, or approaches to health and education. So JWs certainly do take on the world's attitudes and values and they always have done. In this broad meaning they are no different to any other group or culture, building their sense of who they are by borrowing from 'others' (in this case 'the world').

No catchy ending, I'm afraid, just a threat - there could be more of this. Meantime, please chip in.

Philo

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

Hi Philo,

Worldly Witness got pissed as a ute* one night and woke up in front of a Southern Baptist Church just as the sun was rising over the spire. He's now a God fear'n, fire and brimstone preacher/poster called Rex.

unclebruce

(*ute indians were one pint screamers)

• zev
    zev

hi philo....

nice to see your back with us.

you were missed.

-Zev
    Learn about the Wtbts and the U.N.
    ** http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69 **

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Brothers and Sisters!
    I preach that hell's hot, heaven's glory and there is ONLY one way (not one church!) to salvation.
    I'd like to have a couple hundred JWs hogtied and carted into a Sunday morning service. At least they would hear good singing and an inspiring sermon that would keep them awake.
    Rex (no longer WW)

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

I'd like to have a couple hundred JWs hogtied and carted into a Sunday morning service.

You sure is one cruel kinky bastard Rex. (and i ain't talk'n about the hogti'n part .. most JW's 'd love that)

unc, who's had more Sunday services than a curb crawling preacherman.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Welcome back wally! How's the gold in them thar hills?

Satan

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

g'day Satan,

I head bush in the morrow. (that's tommorrow not a chekoslovakian automobile)

cheers, unc.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hello, Rex.
    I have a friend who's a Pentecostal preacher. I don't agree with the Hot Hell bit, and a great deal of the rest as well, but the music is great.

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hi Frenchy,
    I borrowed the phrase, it's really not original. Do you ever listen to any of the praise and worship music on the radio? If you have seen that "Songs for Worship" cds advertised on tv, they are a great set.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit