Brief Story of Leaving the JWs

by Shepherd Book 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

My wife posted her story of how she came to leave the religion: http://mamablogess.blogspot.com/

• Gopher
    Gopher

James,

I just read the whole thing. It was detailed, but very much worth it. Here's the response I wrote in your wife's blog:

That was really touching. I was moved to tears. You went through so much. People need to read stories like yours that help people see the internal conflicts that arise when a thinking person tries to be a good Jehovah's Witness. I am glad you persisted and followed through on what you and James were thinking -- that this theology really isn't true. I'm happy that you eventually landed on the same page, and now you and James and Owen are free of religious fears and superstitions.

As far as fear of death, that's a tough one. After I had my "Eureka" day (it came for me in 2000 when I read the Freeminds website), it took several years to adjust to the thought of life being temporary. I'm okay with it now, that I live fully each day and embrace it, and the day I die will just happen to be a little shorter than your average day!

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Thanks, guys! Glad you appreciated the stuff my wife posted.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks. I have read about half already. So much I can relate to.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

You're welcome, Mickey!

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

very cool. thank your wife on my behalf. im off to look at your site with the watchtower correspondance.

• mind my own
    mind my own

Wow, I just read the whole thing. I am so happy that you both found your way! That was no way to live. Welcome to truly living!

Thanks for sharing,

MMO

• The Missus
    The Missus

I just finished reading Jennifer's story and I felt like I was reading my own biography. Even though I have been inactive for a few years now, and doubt it is the true religion, I still have fears of Armageddon. I remember talks about armageddon and the great tribulation at the meetings and just feeling sick to my stomach and crying my eyes out in the car afterwards because I knew I wasnt strong enough to make it. I hope I can get to the point where I can put this behind me and move on with my life as you have. SB - please convey to Jennifer my thanks for posting her blog and big thanks to you for posting your letters and for sharing this on the JWD site.

TM

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I'll pass the thanks onto my wife. This is the kind of community support that I'll miss about this site.

Missus- Your days of crying over Armageddon are over, I hope. You were not alone, I can assure you that. I often panicked (inside) at the thought that I, or someone I loved, wouldn't be "good enough" to survive Armageddon, even though we were already Witnesses.

I recently obtained a recording of a talk by Ciro Aulesino in which he goes on and on (and on) about the impending "gruesome situation" (his words, not mine) we will face at Armageddon. It reminded me of how grateful I am to have left that all behind. I hope to post that talk on the web soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit