For Stilla

by cameo-d 8 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I will always remember Stilla for his favorite saying which popped up on may occassions:

"God just loves the smell of burnt flesh. 'Tis a restful odor you know..."

Stilla,

You may get a Kingdom Hall Court Martial for saying that today. But, back in 1927...you would have been eating Aunt Bea's biscuits for saying such a thing! I thought of you when I came across this article. Enjoy!

Time Magazine

Jehovah, Jupiter , Baal

Monday, Mar. 28, 1927

Last week in the prisoner's box of a crowded Toronto courtroom, Ernest V. Sterry squinted through thick glasses at a jury of his peers, stood trial for blasphemy against the Lord God of Christians.

In the Christian Enquirer he had written of the God of the Bible as "this irate old party . . . this touchy Jehovah . . . who preferred the savory smell of roast cutlets to the odors of boiled cabbage ,* who sat in a burning bush or popped out from behind the rocks" (TIME, Jan. 24).

Edward J. Murphy, devout Roman Catholic , prosecuted for the Crown with vigor, called Atheist Sterry's writings "scandalous, impious, blasphemous, profane and indecent."

Judge Coatsworth, Sunday School Superintendent , charged the jury: "Nothing is more sacred to us than our religion. . . . We look upon the Bible as the basis of every good law in our country."

The jury, devout men all, took only 25 minutes to pronounce Mr. Sterry guilty.

They had found no worth in his defense, led by Negro E. Lionel Cross, that his attack was upon "the old Jewish God" and that there is "no more blasphemy in talking against this God than there is against Jupiter or Baal."

The judge sentenced him to 60 days in jail.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,730255,00.html

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Did we leave Stilla on the bus?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Myself on the other hand, prefer my meat RARE

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am very glad you're back, Stilla. What happened to RR?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

What happened to RR?

He is modding...over on the other board...lol

h40

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

good to be back - a break albeit small is good and of course a break from this board is going to be permanent for us all soon

• RR
    RR
    I am very glad you're back, Stilla. What happened to RR?

Hey, I'm still here. I'm just wandering around, aimlessly

• sir82
    sir82
    his defense, led by Negro E. Lionel Cross

Umm...was that his name? Or is the first word a description?

If a description: Why describe him that way? Was it to identify persons in unexpected positions of authority? I can still recall references to "lady doctors" in my lifetime, so maybe so.

If a name: what were his parents thinking?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

wow - I am surprised this thread was bumped

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit