Why a sealed envelope?

by Amha·’aret 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

This is a question for all elders or others who might be in the know.

When would someone's DF form be put in a sealed envelope? I know that this happens sometimes if the person has done something very bad but I'm not sure what. I know the envelope remains sealed unless and until the person looks to get reinstated.

I happen to know this happened to a DFed person in the cong I just left.

Any ideas?

• uninformed
    uninformed

They seal the envelope, but they put the name of the person and the names of the members of the committee on the outside of the envelope.

In the event that it is a while before reinstatement takes place, which it usually is, they try to regroup the original committee for the new hearing, but usually one or all is gone. In any case, since memories are frail, the new committee opens the envelope and reads the notes that were taken at the initial meeting.

This puts the new group in a better position to deal with 'specifics' again.

Thats about it.

That is one of the reasons why the "priest penitent" privilege for the witnesses has NOT been holding up in court. It is not confidential.

Any goofus with a key can open the cong. file and then open any sealed envelope at any time.

Most of the time sexually driven elders when given a key to the box will make it their aim to review all the letters that they can 'for their own purposes'.

Brant

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

OK, so any advice on how to open a sealed envelope?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Amha·’aret:

OK, so any advice on how to open a sealed envelope?

This can normally be done quite easily with one's bare hands, or with a letter opener if you're posh. If you want to open it without anybody knowing, then the steam from a kettle should be enough to melt the glue. Be careful not to overdo it or the paper may wrinkle and/or discolour. Also have some Pritt stick or similar glue handy as there may not be enough glue left to reseal it. Bear in mind that it's probably illegal or unethical to open a sealed envelope that doesn't belong to you, so tread carefully. If it contains information about you, then you are entitled by law to see its contents under the Data Protection Act (EU only).

• White Dove
    White Dove

Taking notes on this one

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

My "source" (this is all very cloak-and-dagger!) tells me that the names of the committee are not written on the envelope. Wonder why that is?

Also would this happen for a straight-forward "sin" ie hetro fornication? Or would the envelope only be sealed if the person did something a bit more sinister, for want of a better word?

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Very funny Derek!

Actually, its stuck with cellotape which I'd imagine might be a bit trickier. Even if I can find a way to remove the old bit, I'd have to get a new piece of the right length and width and then stick it on at just the right angle. Though chances are the elder in possession of this envelope won't remember any of those things.

If only I had x-ray vision!

• Plummet
    Plummet

Use a little steam to open the envelope

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Interesting. Never heard all of this before.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

There's so much stuff they don't tell you even after you get dunked, if at all. All these secret rules and regulations that you have to obey even if you don't know about them.

Like all the disfellowshipping offences - there's more of them than I ever thought there was. I remember seeing a list on here somewhere and being in shock/disbelief at how many there were!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit