Since I'm on my soapbox today - Sex vs The WTS

by Leander 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm still trying to make sense out of sex and the so called bibical view by the WTS. I guess to be fair to a certain extent the WTS is only trying to follow the bible's view about sex, but I often wonder if maybe the current understanding is incorrect.

Lets examine homosexuality for a moment. For a long time I've always beleived what the society has taught in that homosexuality is wrong. But now that I've gotten older and I've talked with people who are gay I realize that they don't choose their sexuality. Is it right to condemn or punish a person for something that they have no control over? To be completely honest that hardly seems fair. From the experiences that I've heard and read it appears that many gay people have tried to supress their natural tendecies in order to please God and those around them. But as we all know sex is one of the most powerful urges a human can experience and to go through an entire lifetime ignoring those urges is nothing short of physical and emotional torture.

Also consider the vast amount of young people who marry to satisfy their sexual urges. While some may say that this is acceptable to avoid sin but in the long run does it really avoid sin? In many, many cases two incompatible and possibly even immature people are joined together simply for the purpose of sex. After the thrill has worn off and day to day living sets in then the problems begin.

One of my relatives and close friends made this mistake, he married a young sister that he did'nt know very well. They were both 19 at the time, within a year they had numerous altercations that led to both of them being detained by the police. Shortly afterward they got divorced, but by that time they had a child together who now was caught in the middle of a nasty seperation. Their problems were so severe that even to this day their entire families are at odds with each other.

Another experience involves one of my friends, he had been in trouble several times over the years for fornication. When he was disfellowshipped for the 2nd time he decided that he would get married to try and avoid any future problems in that area. To make a long story short because of marital problems he recently tried to commit suicide by dousing himself in kerosene and lighting himself with a match. Fortunately someone found him and stopped him before he could hurt himself.

From the experiences I've seen, it appears that many people end up in extremely bad situations by marrying too young and for the wrong reasons. It makes me wonder if they would have been better off just receiving counsel for pre-marital sex as opposed to all the emotional trauma from the result of a rushed marriage. Why would we be given such powerful sexual urges and then be forced to be miserable because we can't fulfill those desires or either make a unwise choice in a marriage partner?

I'm sure many people feel the same way I do about this. It just does'nt make sense.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

While you are in a thinking for yourself mode, Leander, don't forget to think about the fact that the Bible, while certainly not as clear as the WTS would have you think, does leave people with confusion about God's (or supposedly God's) view of sex.

In other words, your beef is not just with the WTS. I think it would be very valuble in your new life (and you are embarking on a new life, like it or not), to be intelligently critical of the bible from day one. You will be amazed at how much more of the world around you makes sense, once you take off the extremely distorted, murky lenses of the Bible.

If I haven't already done so, welcome to humanity. It's a pretty cool place.

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

"From the experiences I've seen, it appears that many people end up in extremely bad situations by marrying too young and for the wrong reasons.

Could I not agree more, I really messed up in this area - doing the right thing etc and as a result I'm in a terrible state (though not as bad as the example mentioned here"

I've also found out that all the naughty things the society forbid - ie oral sex etc - everybodys doing anyway!- including the elders who are up on the platform!

I firmly believe that the society have forced upon us unreasonable and unworkable rules that are impossible to live by.

Sounds like the temple leaders in Jerusalem doesn't it

Jim

• JBean
    JBean

Hey Leander! You're back! I was wondering about a week ago how you were and if anyone had heard from you. Glad to see you posting again. (Sorry, this reply had absolutely nothing to do with the thread!) : )

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Leander,

When I was leaving the Witnesses, I also had to take a totally unbiased view of the Bible. I'd always tended to look at it in the way that Giled students are supposedly taught - to see it first as a book written in a specific time and place in a particular culture.

Try that - and when you do it becomes quite clear that the Bible is simply JUST THAT - a book of its time and culture. Allow slavery, chop off thieves' hands, cut off a woman's hand for grabbing a man by the nuts in a fight, make women wear headcoverings and see them as the "weaker vessel" and unfit to take any leadership roles over men (can anyone say Taliban??), allow men to sell their kids (virgin daughters especially), believe that tons and tons of folks are demon possessed instead of suffering from mental illness, allow men to have multiple wives. Need I go on??

The Bible's view of sex is the view of Mid-Eastern culture 3,000 years ago. Nothing inspired there, nothing extraordinary. Nothing to get too confused about.

C'mon, the great god who created the universe and is the god of love couldn't let his people know that slavery really sucked if you happened to be the slave?? The Isrealites certainly hated their times in slavery!! No - the Bible is just another good 'ol book. Some nice wisdom there, but simply confusing when taken too seriously. Good luck!

S4

• mouthy
    mouthy

I agree with you Leander.I am not a person to post much-but I
    am friends with 3 homosexuals- They certainly did not choose their
    lives.I saw a documentary where a girl was born with one body & two heads, both heads thought differantly- If that can happen at birth why not a person who has homosexul tendency.
    I know SO many Ex j.w. Who married because of their "sexual
    passion" they have miserable lives, weather they are together or divorced- besides the children of those unions-who are unhappy also.
    No my God didn't want that-He died for you to have peace.Not the way the world gives..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit