September 1, 08 Watchtower --- PDF! (100 years ago)

by cabasilas 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Well, actually, this is a PDF of the September 1, 1908 Watchtower. This is the "spiritual food" the people in the Organization were receiving a hundred years ago!

At that time, the magazine was called Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence and was still being distributed from Allegheny, Pennsylvania. The Watchtower magazine was then heralding Christ's second presence which they thought had begun in 1874. The magazine was published in black and white and was 16 pages long. This PDF is not from the later Watch Tower Reprints, which was edited to remove less interesting items. This PDF is from the actual 16 page magazine. So, what you're looking at is an exact reproduction of this Watchtower from 100 years ago. The last page has a listing of various visits by "pilgrim" brothers. Among those listed are J.F. Rutherford, W.E. Van Amburgh, and many other names from early Watch Tower history.

Of particular interest is the article "A Father's Letter to His Son." It's pages 7 and 8 of the PDF, or pp. 263-264 of the magazine. This article (which I believe was written by Clayton J. Woodworth) reveals what the Bible Students' expectations were for the next few years. The letter is written for a son to read on his 10th birthday in the year 1916. Why is this father writing his son this letter? Because, as the start of this article indicates, his "poppa and momma will have passed from earthly scenes forever" (taken to heaven). The father explains:

The reason that your dear mother and myself must

die within the next few years is because the sufferings

of the "Body of Christ" are not yet complete, and we

have taken advantage of the great opportunity to make

covenants to lay down our earthly lives, and are trying

to carry out our covenants, before this great work,

which was begun by Jesus himself at the time of his

baptism, is forever finished.

The time when the suffering

shall be finished is now very near, hence it follows

that, if we have proved sufficiently faithful to the Lord,

the time is near at hand when we shall share with him

the glory that is to follow. This means that very soon

it will be true of us, as it is true of the Lord, that we

shall be changed from earthly to heavenly conditions,

and the world will see us no more, forever.

This was to happen before the son's 10th birthday in 1916. So, since the child would not have this Mom and Dad around any more, this father is leaving this letter as his legacy to explain to the child what has happened. As he explains:

I am telling you this now, so that when this letter is read, the

fulfillments may prove to you that there is a God, and

that he carries out all of his plans without the least

danger of failure at any point. All that has been foretold

in the Scriptures will surely be fulfilled, and exactly

on time.

What were some of the things they were expecting? In the Spring of 1909, they were expecting the "Image of the Beast" (a federation of Protestant sects) to "begin it's persecuting power." In 1915, they were expecting the "Ancient Worthies" to be resurrected in Jerusalem and ruling the earth. This father wants his infant son (who'd be 9 or so by then) to recognize what's going on and be on the right side. And, if his son proves himself good enough, this father hopes his son can later join his Mom and Dad in heaven at the "close of the Millennial Age."

The PDF is about 1.67 MB and is bookmarked and searchable. Some interesting searches might include: 1909, 1915, 1918, Jehovah, Lord.... among others. I only found the name "Jehovah" in the magazine once and that was in an historical context. Normally, they seemed to use "Lord" when speaking of God.

For those interested, the PDF of this Watchtower can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=9aca4382977abe9f2a2f7953ba5baf05

Once you go to this page, look towards the bottom and you'll see a yellow countdown button. Once it reaches zero, you can begin your download.

A "missionary" idea. Since this particular Watchtower issue is reaching its 100th anniversary, it'd make a great file to share with JW acquaintances. This file can easily be attached as an email attachment. Some may not read it, but there are a few who might want to. I don't think it's necessary to point out any supposed oddities as that might discourage the distribution of the file. Let the magazine speak for itself!

• Rooster
    Rooster

I stopped reading the Witchtower & Asleep mags a few years back. It feels so good not to fill my mind with their crap.

If I find them in a doctors office I take them and dispose of them.

Reading one of the WTBTS publications is like a dog returning to its vomit!

• bennyk
    bennyk

I remember the letter from the Reprints, and have always wondered if it were legitimate or written in house; the name "I. N. Cognito" struck me as tongue-in-cheek...

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Seems like I remember reading the life story of C.J. Woodworth's granddaughter in a Watchtower in the 80s or 90s. In it, she refers to her Dad (Woodworth's son) being born in 1906. That would fit perfectly. It's not provable, but it seems to fit that Woodworth was the writer of the article. Kind of ironic, how he plugs his own work. He tells his son:

You will

be considerably assisted in this if you make use of the

comments and other helps which appear in the Bible

printed by the WATCHTOWER BIBLE

& TRACT SOCIETY

in the fall of 1908.

That Bible and its notes were prepared by Woodworth (using Russell's writings).

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you!

N.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Rooster, I understand your feelings. This Watchtower from 100 years ago is a bit odd, to say the least. I've always thought it strange that the Watchtower Society doesn't make a CD-ROM of all this old stuff available or even put it online. Why make Witnesses go to "apostates" or the Bible Student groups (whom they call the "evil slave" class) to get this info?

Atlantis, you're welcome!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Just bringing this to the top...since today is the 100th anniversary of this magazine issue.

• startingover
    startingover

bookmork

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Thanks for the post...that is quite a statement this guy makes....

thanks
    h40

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

You're welcome!

I found the life story of Carol Allen in the October 1, 2000 Watchtower. She is the granddaughter of C.J. Woodworth, editor of The Golden Age. On page 25 she refers to the birth of her father:

My father, Clayton junior, was born in Scranton in 1906,

That would fit perfectly with the son of this 1908 WT article. According to it, he would be 10 in 1916.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit