did you waste your time as a "Temp" at Furman? check this out:

by SnakesInTheTower 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I helped for 3 weeks helping convert 360 Furman to Bethel purposes back in the late 80s... 7th and 8th floors... new laundry, carpentry shops, etc..

I know that the sale of Furman has been posted here before, but has anyone posted the link to what is there now? I posted on another thread, but thought it deserved its own topic,.

360 Furman (old shipping) now condos: Studios starting at half million: http://www.onebrooklyn.com/ bet Brooklyn Heights is glad to have this building back on the tax rolls.

Snakes ()

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Everything I did serving that Tower was a waste of time.

LD

• choosing life
    choosing life

They really made a killing on the free labor, I'm sure. They own some pretty nice real estate, yet claim poverty. When I toured the assembly hall where they have their Gilead graduations, I was surprised at their shameless luxury.

• amama2six
    amama2six

Maybe they should sell Stanley Hall if they're so broke...that place must be worth a FORTUNE! If owning places like that is "broke" then I don't want to know what they'd call me (and every other JW/ex-JW who's struggling to make ends meet because of their anti-college rantings).

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

cl:

They really made a killing on the free labor, I'm sure. They own some pretty nice real estate, yet claim poverty. When I toured the assembly hall where they have their Gilead graduations, I was surprised at their shameless luxury.

I toured Stanley theater in New Jersey too. It is a beautiful restoration. They showed before and after, and the WTBTS did save that building from demolition. It is a beautiful place, but an unnecessary extravagance considering how so many dubs are struggling. Of course, if Stanley is paid for, then no sense in building another Assembly Hall if that one is paid for (of course, didnt the Society sell one of their upstate Assembly Halls to another religious group and build a new one a few years back?)

I have been in the Society's facility in West Palm Beach, FL. They converted the old "leaky teepee" into a "Christian Convention Center". It is very nice...and it is used nearly every weekend. And I think they made a bunch of money selling unused land to Home Depot.

Its the claim of poverty that bugs me. (and I get to hijack my own thread...LOL) According to the 2007 Yearbook (pg 30), how many millions of dollars did they spend on "caring for special pioneers, missionaries, and traveling overseers in their field service assignments." ? Answer: "Jehovah's Witnesses spent over $111 million" (2006 service year)....

When I see this huge number, I see an area that could easily be trimmed. I think there is some credibility to the rumors of the traveling overseers being cut back. I dont think they will let them go completely. The COs are the Borg's link to controlling the local hounders. I think what will happen is that the Borg will increase the size of the circuits and cut down on the number of visits from once every 6 months to once every 9 months.... so I can see them going from 500 COs visiting 25 congos twice each year (in the US) to 375 COs visiting 34 congos one every 9 months. At some point, I could see them then reducing it down to once a year, with reinforcements from local hounders.

Just a thought...of course, I would love to see a wholesale auction of all of the Society's buildings and kingdumb hells....and donate the money to a legit charity...

one can dream, right?

Snakes ()

• restrangled
    restrangled

Snakes:

Just a thought...of course, I would love to see a wholesale auction of all of the Society's buildings and kingdumb hells....and donate the money to a legit charity...

Hope this isn't too far off topic....

It would be interesting if people would tell about what is in their area and not just New York/New Jersey. In Daytona Beach a large Assembly Hall was built just a few years back. The landscaping is spectacular. The city of Orlando donated a Palm tree that was called "The pride of Orlando" or something close. One of our major highways was partially shut down to transport it. It's an extremely old Palm tree (dont know the species) worth a fortune.

Inside the building a mural was hand painted that stretches about 25 feet by about 8 feet high in the entrance hall over all the doors to the auditorium. It is a stunning rendition of a jungle scene with parrots, orchids, ferns, palms etc. I can't imagine the cost if it was paid for...probably donated.

Edited to add Pic....http://jehovah-shammah.wikidot.com/daytona-beach

r.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

brant:

worked on the Sliver

according to this article in Dec 07, http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=5&id=17142 click through to see pics..

that and alot of other real estate was sold by the WTBTS...buggers made a bunch of money off our labor....for what?

Snakes ()

By Linda CollinsBrooklyn Daily Eagle
    BROOKLYN HEIGHTS — Since reporting on Wednesday that the former Standish Arms Hotel, which has served as a residential building for the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society since 1981, had been sold to an unnamed buyer, the Eagle has learned the name of that buyer.

“Recently, an affiliate of Taurus Investment Holdings purchased the iconic 120-unit 169 Columbia Heights,” said Arlene Waye, principal of Awaye Realty, who has been named the exclusive rental agent for the building. “Taurus is a global real estate investment and development company which will reposition the building as a full-service residential building offering high-end luxury rentals.”

According to Waye, renovations have already begun and a couple of units are ready for showing.

Renovations in the units include upgrading the kitchens and bathrooms and installing new wood flooring.

Elsewhere in the building, a state-of-the-art laundry facility and gym-and-spa will be installed in the basement and eventually there will be a rooftop terrace and 24-hour concierge.

Awaye Realty just launched its marketing effort and “we have been flooded with calls. We have three to four people a day coming through already.”

Rents for studios will start at $2,000, $2,750 for a one-bedroom and $3,600 for a two-bedroom apartment.

“This is one of the most beautiful buildings I’ve ever been in, second to none, and it’s on the best block in Brooklyn,” said Waye, adding that “every unit is great,” “the lobby is elegant” and there are “breathless, unobstructed views” of the East River, South Street Seaport, the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline — from the fourth floor up, and of Brooklyn Heights from all floors.

Additionally, every unit has light and air because the building was constructed as an “H,” she said.

Waye and her staff did some research on the building’s history.

“It has housed Clark Kent (Superman) in apartment 5G, was the setting for Willy’s pivotal affair in ‘Death of a Salesman,’ and inspired Kenneth Burke’s New York poetry,” she said.

It appears that Taurus Investment Holdings will not be a longterm owner, however.

According to its Web site, Taurus acquires assets with less than 100 percent occupancy, with leases that will expire shortly, and where average rents are well below the market rate.

“Taurus then undertakes building improvements and new lease negotiations immediately after acquisition in order to increase value as soon as possible.”

Additionally, its main objective is “to substantially improve the property’s value within the projected holding period so a potential future buyer will be willing to pay a premium for stable longterm cash flows and returns,” according to the site. “The earlier the scheduled work is completed, the sooner the building can be offered on the market.”

Originally founded in Germany, Taurus now has offices in Atlanta, Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Orlando and Dallas, as well as Toronto, Latin America and Turkey.

Corrections
    In the same Eagle article earlier this week, it was incorrectly reported that the Watchtower residential building at 67 Livingston St. (the “sliver building”) was sold to NYU. It was actually acquired by Glory Capital and subsequently leased to NYU.

Glory Capital announced in September that NYU would convert it to dormitory use and it is the school’s first effort to “expand their campus outside of Manhattan.”

Also, the Eagle neglected to state that Glory Capital had acquired the Watchtower residential building at 10 Clark St., for which Awaye Realty was also named exclusive leasing agent and which leased up quickly, according to Waye (it has only one remaining available apartment).

Glory Capital is described on its Web site as “a boutique New York City-based real estate investment firm, currently involved in over 3 million square feet of residential, commercial and mixed-use property.”

© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2007
    All materials posted on BrooklynEagle.com are protected by United States copyright law.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Yes.........and it makes me sick to my stomach that they sold this building on the hard working backs of JW's.

Ronin1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit