Advance Healthcare Directive - keeping up the pressure

by ernie 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ernie
    ernie

The WTS have sent out a letter to all elders to be discussed at elders meetings trying to ensure that all JWs have a copy of this document lodged with the congregation secretary.

Each book study overseer has to make a list of how many of his group have completed an AHD and each secretary has to make a list of how many copies he has. The body of elders are told to "discuss as a body how best to provide assistance for those who have not yet completed this important document." Apparently "many have evidently not filled in the document & few have lodged it with the cong secretary."

It would seem that the problem is that there are numerous occasions when an unconscious or very ill witness is in hospital & a form cannot be located. There is also particular concern that elderly ones don't have a document or at least , haven't completed one when they are lucid.

• yknot
    yknot

Thanks Ernie.....your contributions to the board are very much appreciated.

When will the Clayton Woodworth madness stop!

They should have just let this one die off quietly.

And I was really making headway in the blood department locally!

I am so glad that verbally a patient can overturn the directive, but I see this document being used against someone in JC soon.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thank you ernie for the information. Are they pressing for forms to be completed for minors too?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Ernie,

Please check in the upper left corner of this page for your inbox messages. I have sent you one.

Best regards,

Marvin Shilmer

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I always felt that it was wrong to assume that all cong members wanted to carry a Blood Card..When I handled the Service Meeting item on it I slipped in the comment that it was voluntary . After all, the cards - as they were worded then- absolved the hospital of any recompense or malpractice suit and consented to any other treatment, other than blood...

The mindset of the dubs is that they cannot understand why any believer would not want to carry one, and resist a transfusion to death if necessary. They view a transfusion as a sure fire route to a dose of AIDS or something else nasty. So perhaps they believe they are being helpful??

• blondie
    blondie

I can understand where they are coming from even if I don't agree. Many elders are called in by jws at the 12th hour, when they are being wheeled into surgery, to have the elder explain to the doctor why they won't take a blood transfusion. The jw has no document written out and doctors are reluctant to accept any document executed at the last moment, it looks like coercion. Then the elder or elders and the HLC are stuck between the doctors and the jw who has not planned ahead for their medical issues. But "force" is not the solution. It gets expensive if the WTS has to call in legal to deal with this and it gets bad publicity as well. The only people required by law to have a copy of healthcare proxy are the 2 proxies and the 2 alternates and the individual themselves. It would be prudent to give your doctor, clinic, hospital, and keep a copy with your important papers.

I can remember the days when the book study conductor would help his "flock" to fill out the ADM one night and get signatures the next time, keeping a list and marking off who had completed it. Since the elders (unless they are someone's proxy) have no legal standing in the process, there is no legal or practical reason why they need a copy.

I have seen situations where jws had no documents in place and were in a serious accident and there was no paperwork. Many jws are very passive aggressive when dealing with WTS directives.

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit