Poetry Heals

by amama2six 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• amama2six
    amama2six

For some, at least, myself being one.

I went through a really rough period at about 14 years old and had two poems come to me out of nowhere...I literally started writing and minutes later had a finished product. One I can post here but the other I fear may be too graphic for the forum (as it describes an actual experience). I'd be happy to send it to anyone who wants to read it, though, just shoot me a PM!

Now keep in mind I was only 14 when I wrote this...but I still think it came out pretty good. I made it into a poetry.com book with it some years ago!

"The Storm is Rolling On"

The storm is rolling on

in the bitter cold outside.

Raindrops turn to ice

from tears that she has cried.

The lightning flashes, sudden,

for a moment dark turns bright.

Then thunder breaks the silence

as her scream rips through the night.

The wind blows cold and fierce

across the barren land.

Trees are bent and twisted

with the trembling of her hands.

The elements, relentless,

show no sign of giving in.

The storm is rolling on

through the memories that have been.

I'd love to see some work from other people here who have used it to work through their child abuse experiences so if you feel comfortable share it here or PM me if you'd like! ((((HUGS)))) ~April

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think poetry is the most emotional form of writing there is. And one reason I have difficulty writing it. I do much better at short stories.

Wonderful imagery you have in your poem. And you wrote this when you were 14? Very impressive.

Chris

• amama2six
    amama2six

Thank you Chris! I didn't really understand the depth of what it meant when I actually wrote it, as previously mentioned the words flowed out onto the paper like they were pouring from somewhere in my subconcious. Now when I look at it I see the significance it had when coupled with the emotions I was experiencing at the time.

I've had writers block for awile now but really want to start writing again...not only poetry but short stories and eventually a novel. I think my biggest problem is sorting my thoughts when I usually have kids running around. Then by the time they go to sleep I'm too tired to try writing...lol.

What kind of short stories do you write? Have you ever tried posting on www.gather.com? It's a pretty cool site and lots of people post short stories on there...as your popularity grows you get points toward gift cards for certain businesses (Borders Books, Home Depot, etc.). Get enough points in one month and you can switch over to the cash option instead. I've gotten a 25 dollar Home Depot gift card from posting on there (have enough points for another 10 dollar card as well) but haven't been on much recently.

~April

• compound complex
    compound complex

Beautiful and heart-rending, Amama ...

It does pour from the subconscious onto paper. We wonder how it happens, but there it is - our inner, tormented soul manifest in print for anyone to read ... and to benefit from.

Thanks.

CoCo

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I've had writers block for awile now but really want to start writing again...not only poetry but short stories and eventually a novel

That's me as well. It's tough getting it started again, you know? I've only got 2, I can't imagine life with 6! No wonder you're so tired. I'm wiped out at the end of the day, although I think it's just an excuse to avoid writing. It's in there, just getting it out is my problem right now.

What kind of short stories do you write?

Thanks for asking. Depends. I've posted a few on this board. Here's a link to one that's not quite as full throttle as the others:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/54598/1.ashx

Some of the others have to do with child abuse. I always put up a warning at the top of the thread before I posted them here.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit