Romans 13 1-7 Comparisons betw NIV, NWT & KI

by Guest with Questions 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Thanks for the responses to my other post. I made a side by side chart and compared my NIV with the NWT and KI. It was difficult to read after I brought it to PhotoBucket so I will just copy and paste the info. Hopefully this will help me in getting my mom out of this org. Maybe it will be useful for someone else. I won't comment just yet but ask for your opinions, if you see any discrepencies.

NIV

Romans 13
    1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exists have been established by God.

2 Consequently he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves.

3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.

4 For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of the possible punishment but also because of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing.

7 Give everyone what you owe him; If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

NWT

Romans 13
    1 Let every soul be in subjection to the superiour authorities for there is no authority except God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God.

2 Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will receive judgment to themselves.

3 For those ruling are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you, then, want to have no fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it;

4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it not without purpose that bears the sword; for it is God’ minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad.

5 There is therefore compelling reason for YOU people to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of (YOUR) conscience.

6 For that is why YOU are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose.

7 Render to all their dues, to him who (calls for) the tax, the tax, to him who (calls for) the tribute, the tribute, to him who (calls for) fear, such fear, to him who (calls for) honor, such honor.

KINGDOM INTERLINEAR

Romans 13
    1 Every soul to authorities having over let be subjecting himself, not for is authority if not by God, the [authorities] but being by God having been set in order they are;

2 as-and the (one) setting self against the authority to the of the God thorough setting has taken stand against. the (ones) but having taken stand against to themselves judgment they will receive.

3 The for rulers not are fear to the good work but to the bad. You are willing but not to be fearing the authority? the (thing) good be doing. and you will have praise out of her;

4 of God for servant she is to you into the good. If ever but the (thing) bad you may be doing, be fearing; not for purposelessly the sword she is bearing; of God for servant she is, avenger into wrath to the (one) the (thing) bad performing.

5 Through which necessity to be subjecting oneself, not only through the wrath but also through the conscience,

6 through this for also things brought you are paying, public servants for of God they are into very this (thing) persevering.

7 Give you back to all (ones) the dues, to the (one) the thing brought the thing brought, to the (one) the tax the tax, to the (one) the fear the fear, to the (one) the honor the honor.

• theliteissobrite
    theliteissobrite

The NIV really clears things up. I often give thanks for this wonderful translation in my prayers. Thanks for sharing this guestwithrelations. And good luck with your mom !

• heathen
    heathen

That whole romans 13 part just look like a forgery to me , it's clear jesus was saying that satan had control over the world governments. The world did not use the sword for good but was very evil , I know romans didn't use the sword for good , they didn't care who they killed or for what reason as long as somebody died for their entertainment even.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

King James actually made a few changes in that direction.

His motive was "the divine right of kings" in that he believed kings had no responsibility to answer to the people; kings were god's chosen.

If you had a bad king it was because god felt you deserved it.

I have read some interesting info concerning changes that King James directly made to scripture. And that obey laws of land was from his dictates.

It is becoming more apparent that much of the bible has indeed been manipulated by transcribers through the years. There is much info on the net concerning those things.

• heathen
    heathen
    It is becoming more apparent that much of the bible has indeed been manipulated by transcribers through the years. There is much info on the net concerning those things.

Have you ever looked at the first print of the king james ? It reads like a shakespearian play or something , we know the ancient jews did not use that type of language so to say it's an accurate translation would be far from the truth. People just seem to like the way psalms 23 was tampered with especially for some reason so they use it allot at funerals .At least king james left the name jehovah in at four different spots tho.

• Sasha
    Sasha

NIV. I gotta get me one. Please elaborate. Even though I have been out for years, I am still using they're Bible from 1970!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit