latest convention

by shadowofbathory 4 Replies latest jw friends

• shadowofbathory
    shadowofbathory

ive long held the belief the WT is more a heavy handed pusher and seller of moralistic laws than spiritual guidance,

it was strongly re commfirmed after the latest convention.

did anyone else notice this?

any comments on the drama?

was it a valid parallel to todays life?

i believe they are limiting their target customer based on a collective mindset to simply do as they say and be a moral single focused drone according to their interpretation and custom.

there is very limited upbuilding offerings on offer these days, where the audience is not taught and encouraged to draw close to god in an ethereal sense, rather to map out their actions so as to achieve a WT endorsed goal.

i am convinced they feel they can earn gods approval.

are there any religions on earth that dont simply push their own agenda but guide their audience to a higher understanding ( without defining that )?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree that this last convention was all about do's and don'ts. Not very friendly at all.

are there any religions on earth that dont simply push their own agenda but guide their audience to a higher understanding ( without defining that )?

That's a tough one, because I think that any organism, given time, will spend at least a good portion of it's time on survival. Organizations also operate like a super-organism. I enjoyed Vanier's book on Becoming Human . He suggests that our need for individuality and our need for community are both needed, but opposed. Too much individualism, you have anarchy and abuse. Too much power to the community, and the individual is sublimated.

So I think the trick is to find an organization that fosters a welcoming and safe community while also honoring the individual.

Balance.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Comments on the drama, I felt the drama was maid on my reallife story. This bad former elder said just the same things I have said. And he had helped brothers to get work at his wordly companionĀ“s bisness. I helped 5 brothers to get employed at the same place were I worked. I was also hospitable, for 2 years different needy brothers and sisters lived with my family in our appartment. I teached new things like: It is not nessesary to do so much field service were we have already preached. And I told the brothers: Nobody has been able to prove with the Bible that I am wrong. In the drama "John" didn't that either. I have been saying also Jehovah's blessing will make us rich. And that the governing body seem to be envying brothers who have it better materialy. And I still say as this main person in the drama said to "John": I forgive you, but of course I would like to be accepted by the members in the governing body.

I thought, they disfellowshiped me, but Jehovah maid this "former elder" in the drama spread the thougths I wanted.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

jgnat,

I agree that this last convention was all about do's and don'ts. Not very friendly at all.

That's a tough one, because I think that any organism, given time, will spend at least a good portion of it's time on survival. Organizations also operate like a super-organism. I enjoyed Vanier's book on Becoming Human . He suggests that our need for individuality and our need for community are both needed, but opposed. Too much individualism, you have anarchy and abuse. Too much power to the community, and the individual is sublimated.

So I think the trick is to find an organization that fosters a welcoming and safe community while also honoring the individual.

Balance.

Very succinct and thoughtful post. I'll have to check out that book. I find that applies to government as well. Although I think too much community/government power results in oppression rather than just sublimation.

-- Not Sublimating It

• lrkr
    lrkr

"A pusher of moralistic laws" - Well that about sums up the new book- from what I've seen and heard. The thing looks like a Talmud of all of the JW dos and don'ts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit