Higer Education Value

by wunce_wuz 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I know this subject has been discussed over and over again on here. An article I came across, which I'm sure enough know based on prior comments.

Lifetime Earnings Soar with EducationLifetime Earnings Soar with Education

Masters degree worth $2.5 million income over a lifetime

How much is higher education worth in cold hard money? A college master's degree is worth $1.3 million more in lifetime earnings than a high school diploma, according to a recent report from the Commerce Department's Census Bureau.

The report titled "The Big Payoff: Educational Attainment and Synthetic Estimates of Work-Life Earnings" (.pdf) reveals that over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million.

Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life, while those with professional degrees do best at $4.4 million.

"At most ages, more education equates with higher earnings, and the payoff is most notable at the highest educational levels," said Jennifer Cheeseman Day, co-author of the report.

The figures are based on 1999 earnings projected over a typical work life, defined as the period from ages 25 through 64.

Americans staying in school longer
    Along with the financial data, the report also shows that more Americans are staying in school longer than ever before. In 2000, 84 percent of American adults age 25 and over had at least completed high school and 26 percent continued to earn a bachelor's degree or higher, both all-time highs.

"Glass Ceiling" on earnings still intact
    The report also shows that while more American women than men have received bachelor's degrees every year since 1982, men with professional degrees may expect to cumulatively earn almost $2 million more than their female counterparts over their work lives.

Additional highlights from the report show:

• In 1999, average annual earnings ranged from $18,900 for high school dropouts to $25,900 for high school graduates, $45,400 for college graduates and $99,300 for the holders of professional degrees (medical doctors, dentists, veterinarians and lawyers).
    • Over a work life, earnings for a worker with a bachelor's degree compared with one who had just a high school diploma increase by about $1 million for non-Hispanic Whites and about $700,000 for African Americans; Asians and Pacific Islanders; and Hispanics.
    • Currently, almost 9-in-10 young adults graduate from high school and about 6-in-10 high school seniors go on to college the following year.

A separate report released last year (What's It Worth? Field of Training and Economic Status: 1996) said among people with bachelor's degrees, those working full time in engineering earned the highest average monthly pay ($4,680), while those with education degrees earned the lowest ($2,802) in 1996.

Source: http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa072602a.htm

Another interesting website for calculating income: http://www.calcxml.com/do/ins07

• Mandette
    Mandette

That is so right!!! Education is the way to go!! I hate the WTS's attitude on education. There is a "sister" in this area that is in her late 50's at least. NO car. Lives with her elderly parent. NO job. But she's a pioneer!!!!! She has to be picked up for service. She only has a couple of dollars(literally) to spend for a break or lunch. It's pathetic. She's not going to be qualified for help because she never worked. No retirement. No nothing. Even the Catholic Church give their priests, nuns, etc some tupe of benefit upon retirement. And isn't there a scripture in the bible about that if a man doesn't care for his family then he's a man without faith etc? We're our own family. We have to take care of ourselves!! So this intense UNNECESSARY poverty doesn't seem to me to be scriptual. I can't imagine a God of love would want this.

Amazingly..my elder father told me that it was awesome that I have such a good retirement plan and that I'd be grateful for it in the future............I never bought into that bogus stuff about not going to college or not trying to find the best job possible. And in this current economy I'm so glad I did what I did!!!

Mandette

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Of course, the witlesses don't think of that. All they think of is getting their food stamps or Welfare, and using it to pioneer. Of course, they claim to be ministers.

What a waste of MY tax dollars.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

You know what will happen Mandette? The congregation will take care of her, and by the congregation I mean the people who work full-time, who aren't pioneers, and can afford to support someone who didn't bother to support herself. You think the other pioneers would do something? They can't! Every pioneer supports him/herself from the charity of a non-pioneer and that is a fact whether that support comes from the government, family members, friends, or inheritances. I know one old couple where the son-in-law runs a successful heavy equipment dealership. They live on land the man's father owned, in a house that is completely bought-and-paid-for. The son-in-law buys them all their vehicles, and not just their vehicles, but their daughter and her husbands as well. He doesn't skimp, either. He will literally go to a dealership, order a fairly nice car with ALL the upgrades. He will get the most expensive model with all the trimmings, and then give it to them, free. Now, he obviously doesn't have time to pioneer, but because he works hard he actually enables four to do so! I really hope they never bother him about being "too busy for Jehovah." He does more for "Jehovah" than they could DREAM of! Let's see THEM provide transportation and make it possible for FOUR PIONEERS to stay on the list!

So when this older gentleman talks about how we should all pioneer and try to support ourselves on part-time jobs, I just shake my head and laugh. If I had a house given to me as well as free vehicles yeah maybe I could support myself on a part-time job, but us here in the real world have to pay for those basic necessities, and they are HUGE expenses.

It is a fact that if every full-time working JW in the entire world quit their jobs tomorrow and started working part time, and all other governmental sources of support were cut off as well, they would all be off the pioneer lists a month later.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

What I think is so sad is that the view of education changes depends a lot on where you live or who you listen to. When I lived in one area the C.O. gave a part on an assembly interviewing and commending those who had left college to pioneer. When he visited my congregation he encouraged young people to get an apprenticeship. That's what he did (and how long ago was that?) How many apprenticeships take high school students who have not taken trade type classes? He said that when people ask him if a 2 year school would be OK for their child he replies that he doesn't know what state their spirituality will be in after two years. Nothing on what their economic state will be ten years from then with no education. Shortly after this I moved to another state and at the cirucit assembly there was a young girl being interviewed telling us how she was pursuing an assoiciates degree at the community college while auxiliary pioneering. Why does this girl get to go and probably be able to sustain her pioneer service while others have to come off the list because of financial reasons due to not being educated enough to support themselves part-time?

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

I just had a visit from the PO and argued to him about the going to college issue. Especially when they make propoganda dvd's on (pursue goals that honor God). This is a recent dvd and every charachter that was going to college was portrayed as eveil and self interested. They don't get it he was trying to suggest i was leaning toward apostasy and i told him to get out of my house.

Your not allowed to ask questions on there theology just lie down and take the big JW cock up your ass with no vaseline. Just like a madrassa if the kids here all this by the time they are able to go to college they will already be trained and think its evil and self interested.

He must be a weak brother he is going to college. How nice of them to think this way

You should see the video a friend of my wife sent it has a 3 year old boy going up to the podium to read the bible i used to think how nice but now i think this makes me sick. There already programming them.

If anyone has connections try to watch the dvd Pursue Goals That Honor God. The title speaks volumes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit