Boycott the Beijing Olympics?

by nvrgnbk 6 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I heard that Amnesty International is saying that human rights violations have actually increased as China prepares to put on its best face- any that dare to cast the government in a negative light are being silenced.

Can a boycott do any good?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I doubt it. Anyhow, change is coming to china at a very rapid pace. Do it too rapidly, or by force and you do more harm than good. As the average standard of living is rising and they become more empowered and have more contact w the outside, more change will come. It's a 2000 yr old country, basically, who are we baby countries to tell them what to do?

S

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Trying to boycott China is stupid. 1.2 billion people live in China. Give me a break. The USA lost any ability to complain about human rights when Gitmo was opened and under Premire Bush.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Gitmo was opened under Premire Bush.

Against the wishes of many Americans.

Gitmo is as bad as or worse than what's going on in China.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I doubt a boycott would do any good. Russia pulled it off and no one really cared. This Olympic craze is the one thing that everyone can agree on. The human rights violations in China should have stopped the whole thing during the selection process. Since no one bitched then or rather no one listened to the bitching then, there is not much to do but sit around and watch the US take 30% of the medals.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

I'm boycotting. Not only am I not competing in any of the events, I'm staying home for the Olympics this year.

• amicus
    amicus
    Trying to boycott China is stupid. 1.2 billion people live in China. Give me a break. The USA lost any ability to complain about human rights when Gitmo was opened and under Premire Bush.

The US lost all credibility when Andrew Jackson began his campaign of genocide against the Native Americans. Gitmo is just another sad tale of a republic gone wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit