Can't remember the lingo about prayer to Jah

by Texman55 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Texman55
    Texman55

Reading stuff on this board makes all sorts of nearly forgotten memories come sneaking back.....now what exactly was I taught about praying to Jah for any personal concerns? Help me out folks, I forget just how the phaseology went: something like, god is under no obligation to mankind, not even JW's, to grant personal requests in prayer; the only proper things to pray about are to do with advancing the kingdom, like in field ministry etc.

So if you lost your job, it's not really right to pray for help finding a new one, or even like if your afraid of walking through a bad neighborhood at night, still no dice. Oh yeah you can still pray.....but Jah might or might not be willing to hear your prayer, I guess depending what side of the bed he rolled out of that morning.

That's the gist of it, but there's a simpler way of putting this nasty, horrendous idea, wasn't there? I can't remember the wording....

Which is why unless we were like praying for the society or the field circus, everybody always ended their prayers with "if it be your will" if it was any kind of personal request. Emphasis heavy on the if part.

I remember years ago, I am pretty sure it was sometime shortly after I left the borg, there was a reader's digest condensed book about a JW family whose big pleasure boat (yeah right how'd they get that, slaving away at minimum wage to please the Fucking Discrete Slave?) sank or capsized in the Pacific Ocean....there they were, theocratic dad, mom, kids, all clinging to a raft, sharks circling around, waves crashing on them yada yada.....so they pray to jah for help and rescue....ending of course quite properly with the telltale phrase "if it be your will".....which I'm sure the RD editors thought was just a pious line.....but of course I knew exactly why they tacked that on....cause god as explained by the wt society really could care less if they drowned or not....no skin off his back. They had to literally beg him to save them.

Geez, what a sick, perverted excuse for a religion.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I quit wasting time praying. First, there are two categories of things to pray for. The first is things that Jehovah would be absolutely stupid to not answer to, whether you pray for them or not (after all, those are His will). And they are all nefarious.

The second category is personal things. Here, God usually does absolutely nothing but blocks your efforts to self-fulfill those items. And, if you do manage to get anything despite God, you are supposed to give that Almighty Lowlife Freeloader the credit for what you worked for! That is a complete waste of my time to pray for God's selfish will or for things He usually opts out of doing.

Besides, there is no complaint form for the prayers He chooses to not answer or, worse yet, block your efforts at self-fulfillment. It has to be always civil requests, always the same format (even when it is not working, which it never does), and no "Whatever happened to your granting me things I needed to be happy instead of always usurping the energy for your damn Tyranny?". If God were to have competition, I believe He would go belly up within yoctoseconds.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

So what are we supposed to do if the act of praying for something that we want causes god to implement stumbling blocks? Should we lie to ourselves and say we DON'T want said thing? And if so, wouldn't god as well as ourselves know that would be a lie? I mean so what, when jesus told the storm to be still he actually prayed for it to keep going? When Samson prayed for god to destroy gods taunters, he actually said "Don't hurt them?" And speaking of that, wasn't that a little f'ed up? So these people taunt you....you're god, you're supposed to be bigger than that. Hell, any mom with two kids have uttered this very thing, but god is so immature? He bites more ass than Pac-Man, and we're supposed to worship this bum?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I had to pray the other day when some Witnesses visited us and I said......"Our dear heavenly Father Jehovah...................{silence}.......Um..."

Becuase after some time you do forget this crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit