"Mad Men": Recommending a great TV show

by Layla33 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33

I normally don't do this, since I am not a huge fan of the TV. Most of the shows I watch are biographies and forensic science; however, this show is amazing. If you get the chance, check it out. It comes on AMC on Sunday nights at 10 pm and if you go to amctv.com, you can watch the show on your computer for free.

Why I like this show - It is set in the 1960's in an advertising company, and if anyone knows anything about the ad agencies in Manhattan during that time, the big shot men were called "Mad Men". What I find absolutely refreshing is that it shows life before political correctness, before all the changes in corporate "america". Kids play with vacuum cleaners, everyone smokes even the pregnant women, people fight cuss in the work room and no one blinks an eye. The backdrop is the role of women and minorities in that time. Not in anyway saying this was a better time, but watching it is like going back in time and accessing how we live now - better or worse, what have we "got" and what have we completely "lost". It also shows the psychology and creative genuis of advertisers.

Knowing a few people from that era, they say it is about as true to form, as what they experienced - and they love the show, as well..

Anyway, just wanted to share a rare gem on the TV.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I agree. Last series was outstanding. There is a lot of nuance that I missed the first time around that I caught on rewatching the episodes. The production as you mentioned is amazingly accurate for the period and fascinating to see how gender roles played out two generations ago. The only jarring thing is seeing Crista Flanagan this series -- brings me into the present and reminds me of MadTV, unfortunately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit