Why even try?

by wanderlustguy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I think I’m done. Just done, finished with everything else having to do with anyone else. Reading this, one might think I am a people hater, but I’m not. That’s the problem. Love people. But people love to tell you about their lives, get you into their lives, share their burden. Before long, it’s your burden, too, whether you want it or not, or ask for it or not.

Of course there is the possibility that it’s just my perception. But, I don’t think so. Looking back for the past year, of 08, I can see pretty clearly where my time has gone, and my energy. I like being near my family, the two members of it I have left, but I can’t deal with their lives and decisions anymore. I had to tell one of them their significant other asked me to sell and run drugs for them. Today I found out that person is still around just as before, granted there was a session of absence preceded by a bawling out. But…they are back. Now I’m a squealer and I’m the one who lost something. I asked the question, “if I had said yes to the offer and wound up in prison, would this person still be around?” It doesn’t matter, not really. I used to have faith in people, I used to believe in the greater good. Doing the right thing gets you where you should be. Now I lost the only safe haven I had besides my own home. It was nice while it lasted.

The above is just one example for the year. My clients have broken so many commitments to me that now I am shocked when things are done like I am told they will be. In turn I have had to break commitments. I hate that more than anything. The people tipping the first domino are the ones who need the least, and I watch others like me get left holding an empty plate…if it doesn’t slip out from the sweat of the workday.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s really the right way to do without so others can have, or even just to fulfill a commitment. Maybe I’m just one of the suckers. I’m seriously close to paying off everything I owe everyone and checking out for good, slipping off into the mountains because I have less fear of everything there than the people who are so modern and civilized.

Show me something that gives you faith in humanity, in justice, and helps you continue to be the better person.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Aw, Hon. I'm sorry you're having these experiences. That seriously sucks.

As far as what gives me hope in humanity... I remember something a college professor said to the class years ago. He said, "Don't do dumb things." I have always tried to live without regrets, and that is obviously not easy. But... I don't do dumb things, and I don't keep people around me to do dumb things. There are some people that I love very dearly who have gone through dumb stages in their lives... I let them know where I am and I try to be patient. Then, there are those that I love who will do dumb things pretty consistently until the day they die. Those people, even though I do love them, I limit my contact with quite severely.

Sounds like you've got a bad case of needing less chaotic folks in your life.

And if it helps at all... I love you... in my unknown, typed-cyber way.

Love to you,
    Baba.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

WLG! Is the year half full or half empty? You know, there are several more months to go. I will be damned if 08 is going to get me down. It will end better than it started. And if I look at it positive, maybe the beginning was just a tearing off of a scab. It will end better. This I know. So with your rough start, don't loose sight of all of the things that you have learned.

Sometimes the pain we have is just temporary. It is a sign to us that we are growing. The fact that you know how to see the right and wrong in situations is really comforting. It helps me see that sometimes the things we are faced with are hard to do. And doing the right thing makes one lonely....BUT it weeds out the crap. The ones that ask all of this of you. Consider it gardening. If your life is going anything like mine...I am liking the few and new people that have come into my life. Tiny garden but I am considering it mine. It is a wonderful. I am sure you can see what I am saying.

Don't let the half empty overtake you. You are way too much of an authentic person to let it all get you down. Please hang in there. Take a look at your kiddos coming and enjoy them! Enjoy your time with them. They grow so fast!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sometimes its because you have so much on your own plate that others problems and issues seem to be a burden.

Once you are able to find that place in life where you feel peace then others problems just don't seem to effect you as much.

It does get easier as time goes on, then people do really become important in your life. Perhaps it happens with age I have felt

the things you mention a long time ago. Being positive or working at it helps to regain the trust in people and look for the good.

Wishing you happiness and trust in others again...

hope4others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit