Oh the Irony - telephone witnessing

by Princess Daisy Boo 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

So this afternoon, my folks came over to visit me - they dont visit often, but since I am at home this week recovering from my sinus op, they made the effort to visit.

We were chatting and drinking tea and the phone rang. I got up and answered it and I was greeted by a friendly sounding woman named Heidi, who told me she was doing a "Christian Volunteer Work" and was just calling to share a "short message with me". She talked about the Lords Prayer and how it's words are "Thy Kingdom Come" and had I ever stopped to wonder what that Kingdom was. At that point she asked if I have a free moment so she could share a scripture with me, to which I had to reply that I did not (have a free moment that is) and with that, the call was over!

I was quite disappointed really!

Normally I avoid dubs doing FS like the plague, not wishing to enter into any discussions with them - I am ashamed to admit that just as I was terrible at FS - never very confident, I get similarly tongue tied when trying to argue the other side... but today, since it was really just an anonymous telephone call, I figure that I could have given her a run for her money! I just couldn't do it with my parents sitting right there! Arrgh!

• llbh
    llbh

Interesting pdb, i wonder if this helps helps the fs hours.?

I know if i had done it my hours would have inreased dramatically

Regards David

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I agree David - mine too - I wonder whether they work through the telephone directory or whether they have a database?

• amicus
    amicus

I've made my position clear on this. I was a pioneer in the early '70's. I made my hours pestering my neighbors face to face.

I can't even comprehend the lazy attitude that one must adopt to submit to "telephone" witnessing.

Nothing irritates me more that being outside working, then running inside to catch the phone and find it's a solicitor.

I haven't yet had to effectively deal with a religious telephone solicitor. Fortunately for them.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

My wife does this particular form of pestering - the irony of it is that she objects strongly (!) to unsolicited calls to our home phone and will not answer the phone if she does not recognise the number.

I understand that they work through the local phone book, but they do keep records of who was called, who they should not call etc. While one can opt to be on a "do not call" register here, religious bodies are exempt.

She got involved in this as her back gave out & could not walk any distance - and kept the phone witnessing up after her operation. It seems that it is "reserved" for those who can't get about so that the Brooklyn Book Company can get some field service out of them.

h9k

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Its all the rage these days.

Dodgy dodgy

I used to have the telephone witnessing group at my house sometimes. You even get to have your whole presentation written out in front of you!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    I wonder whether they work through the telephone directory

I've done the telephone book thing, especially when its like 40 below....great to be in doors. You can even

drink coffee.....

h40

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have heard of doing that for buildings where you couldn't get in and place the damn wastes of paper personally. They also send them mail (which can get expensive with postage), along with their wastes of paper that way.

If they ever try that on me, all they are getting is a nice little click followed by a dial tone. I will just hang up on them if I find it is a witless calling me for field circus (you can't continue a sermon or a hounding call after the other party hangs up). A letter with a waste of paper? That shredder makes a nice buzzing noise eating those things up.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I live in a high security townhouse village (one has to if one one wants to retain their possesions in South Africa) so that is probably why they are trying the phone method - I very rarely see them trying to work this territory on foot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit