Why do we still have wars and is peace by human means ever possible?

by Witness 007 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I think that war is crazy. You would never get me to volunteer as a soldier in Iraq.....I find wars to be so stupid and primative I don't understand what drives men to conflict in the 21st century.....p.s I know it's not Satan since he only exists in our imagination.....someone to blame for our own evil.

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

I believe that countries like the United States still go to war in order to do what they feel is neccesary to maintain their dominance, or power, over other nations.

I know that many people do not think that going to Iraq was a good idea, but you dont know what you dont know, and you never know what would have happened had we not gone there, and we really cant be sure as to why we are even there. All we know is what the media spoon feeds us, and from there we all form our opinions. It is possible to come up with some information, but you never know how much of the total picture you have.

But the US is pretty clear about doing anything it can to maintain its economic position in the world, so I think that is why we go to war.

To answer your question though, I am always tempted to say that peace is not possible. But look at the 50 states, they function somewhat autonomously, yet are all united. Could that spread beyond? Sure. Look at the European Union, a group of seperate nations unifying together. Look at the sometimes mentioned idea of the North American Union. Look at Nato.

The idea of any of our 50 states going to war against another on any level is absurd, so is the idea of us going to war with Mexico or Canada. Or the countries in the EU going to war with each other, or countries in Nato. So is it possible?

Maybe...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I believe we will continue evolving, emotionally and socially.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

We still have wars because that's what people do. Resources, religion, race...these things are all excuses

Sure people could bring peace on their own...however...they'd have to want it.

JW's lie when they say that mankind cannot solve the problems it faces. It's never been an issue of can, rather it's one of will. Sure we can, but we won't.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why do we still have wars and is peace by human means ever possible?

As long as one man wants to dominate another, whether against his person or his property, there will be war.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You may enjoy reading this essay on the subject:

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

Here are some choice quotes. Below, the author of the essay is quoting from a book entitled, The Bulletproof Mind:

"If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed."

"Let me expand on this old soldier's excellent model of the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in denial; that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools. But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are dozens of times more likely to be killed, and thousands of times more likely to be seriously injured, by school violence than by school fires, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their children is just too hard, so they choose the path of denial."

"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog that intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours."

My own two cents? I'm a father of two small children. When I first held my baby girl, I became keenly aware of my ability and willingness to inflict violence upon any human that would attempt to harm her. I've spoken with many other fathers that feel the same way. We're not looking for a fight, but we will fulfill our roles as protectors (sheepdogs) when necessary. I hope that day never comes.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

To answer your question though, I am always tempted to say that peace is not possible. But look at the 50 states, they function somewhat autonomously, yet are all united. Could that spread beyond? Sure. Look at the European Union, a group of seperate nations unifying together. Look at the sometimes mentioned idea of the North American Union. Look at Nato.

The idea of any of our 50 states going to war against another on any level is absurd, so is the idea of us going to war with Mexico or Canada. Or the countries in the EU going to war with each other, or countries in Nato. So is it possible?

Supranational institutions are the answer.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    leavingwt

Great post leavingwt.

I've read that before, but it has been a long time.

BTS

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

in the town of my birth (foreign country) one day during a patron saint procession, it is said that (saint thingy that 4 people hold) it fell down from the 4 people, and the thingy (statue holder) picked itself up and moved itself down the street to the sanctuary

• journey-on
    journey-on

LeavinWT quoted:

" If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed."

"Let me expand on this old soldier's excellent model of the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in denial; that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools. But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are dozens of times more likely to be killed, and thousands of times more likely to be seriously injured, by school violence than by school fires, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their children is just too hard, so they choose the path of denial."

"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog that intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours."

Read this then re-read it. Doing nothing about those with true evil intentions is stupid. At this stage of humanity's evolution and development, sometimes war is necessary, imo. But, you should hate it. It should make you wretch. It should sadden you and pain you. But, like making one's way through a dark, tangled jungle to get to the clearing of a peaceful place, sometimes a machete is necessary. I truly believe, however, war will be obsolete someday (among members of this planet anyway). We're still on the social and spiritual evolutionary path.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit