Hebrews 1:6 & The Kingdom Interlinear

by Honesty 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have the 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION of the GREEK SCRIPTURES.

At the top of page 949 I noticed something that is puzzling, to say the least.

On the left side of the page is the Greek text with the English transliteration directly under it.

It says:

let do obeisance toward him all angels of God.

On the right side of page 949 is the New World Translation.

It says:

let all God's angels do obeisance to him."

So far, so good.

However, since the Greek Text in the 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION says on page 949:

Why does my Green 1961 Edition of the New World Translation on page 1293 say:

let all God's angels worship him."

when the Watchtower Society's 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION of the GREEK SCRIPTURES says on the left side of the page where the Greek text with the English transliteration directly under it says:

????????

Why did the Watchtower Society change the Greek word "obeisance" which is on page 949 in the Watchtower Society's 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION of the GREEK SCRIPTURES to read "worship" in the Green 1961 Edition of the New World Translation on page 1293?

Keep in mind that the Green 1961 Edition of the New World Translation was printed some 100 years AFTER the Westcott and Hort text found in the THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION of the GREEK SCRIPTURES and the word "obeisance' is in the Watchtower Society's 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR at Hebrews 1:6 in the Greek text translated by Westcott and Hort.

Why didn't the Watchtower Society just leave it at "obeisance" since the 1985 Edition of THE KINGDOM INTERLINEAR has it that way in the Greek text?

Did the Watchtower Society believe that all God's angels should worship Jesus in 1961 even though the Greek text said "obeisance"?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Honesty, I remember how I struggled with this, and how MacGregor Ministries sealed the deal for me. I copied and pasted the information below from their site.

I highlighted the part that means so much to me.

Sylvia

Sometimes the Society just can't keep their deceptions straight with each other! Such an example is Hebrews 1:6 in the Purple KIT. Here they put "obeisance" on the Greek/English side and "worship" on the NWT side! What a hoot! If you're going to mistranslate, at least try to be consistent! They had to scramble around and correct their boo-boo in the 1985 navy-blue edition where they hastily did away with the worship of Jesus.

Hebrews 1:6, Purple edition (13 & 14)

Hebrews 1:6 blue edition 15)

Please also refer to Matthew 28:9 where Jesus is worshiped. Then in Matthew 4:10, He directs His followers to worship God alone. Note also Phil. 2:9,10, which says every knee must bow to Jesus. If you use a recognized Bible Concordance, such as Strong's, you will see that the same Greek root word is used for worship throughout, and the Society had no business messing with the Greek to suit their doctrines.

We must agree with their statement that there is no benefit in self-deception. We tremble when we think of the responsibility they will bear before the "Divine Judge" for their altering of His Holy Word. We urge individual Jehovah's Witnesses to leave this reprehensible organization and seek Jesus Christ alone, and invite Him as God into their hearts as the scriptures command.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I use Hebrews 1:6 and the KIL a lot with JW's.

It kickstarts their minds and acts as an antitoxin to the mindnumbing doses of watchtower anesthesia the FDS injects them with.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

The KIT of 1969 has "worship" whereas the 1985 version has "obeisance". Is there a difference between the 2 words?

• possible-san
  • kool aid man06
    kool aid man06

"Obeisance and worship are the same Greek word"proskyneo". The reason why the Watchtower changed "worship" to "obeisance" is because the Bible warns against worship of angels-Revelation 22:8-9 for example and they still continue to teach the lie that jesus is also Michael the archangel.

• possible-san
    possible-san

An interesting view

‘“Let all the angels of God worship him’; (that must include Michael, the chief angel, hence Michael is not the Son of God)”

The Watchtower Reprints, November 11, 1879, p. 48
    http://www.mostholyfaith.com/bible/reprints/Z1879NOV.asp#R48

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit