God Bless Ebay!---- about Pastor Russell

by dungbeetle 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Was running around on ebay, and through a series of links wound up here. Never heard of this before today. Any thoughts anyone?

* http://www.godstruthfortoday.org/

and especially this info:

* http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1489796320

RARE - WATCHTOWER - RARE
    Concordant New Testament (Revelation only)
    The Concordant Version of the Sacred Scriptures
    The Unveiling of Jesus Christ
    POPULAR EDITION - WITHOUT NOTES
    Copyright 1919.

Paperback. 80 pages (+ cover).
    Features Greek text, sublinear literal translation, and the Concordant Version.

Advertised in the June 15, 1920 issue of The Watch Tower. The Society had ordered 10,000 copies of each part of the Concordant Version. The "Popular Edition - Without Notes," was prepared specifically for the Society, but after selling only 2000 copies Judge Rutherford cancelled the order. In a letter to the Publisher (The Concordant Publishing Concern), recorded in Unsearchable Riches magazine, January 1928, Rutherford states that the order had been inserted into the Watchtower "by one who had no authority." Judge Rutherford said that he had cancelled the order when he heard that the translator believed in "Universal Reconciliation," in spite of the fact that this edition of the Version had no notes by the translator, or any indications of his doctrinal views on any subject. This was, of course, in contradiction to the Society's policy allowing sale of and later publication of "The Emphatic Diaglott" which is filled with Benjamin Wilson's Christadelphian interpretations.

The real reason was undoubtedly that some in the Society were reading other literature produced by the Concordant Publishing Concern, and were themselves adopting the teaching of Universal Reconciliation. Of the early leaders in the Society, the following left to become supporters of Universal Reconciliation and the work of the Concordant Publishing Concern: Fredrick H Robison, one of the original Editorial Committee members, mentioned in Pastor Russell's will, and later arrested along with Rutherford and others, during WWI, for alleged violation of the Espionage Act; Menta Sturgeon, pastor Russell's traveling secretary, who was with him on his transcontinental trip when he died in 1916; Walter H Bundy, a Pilgrim for the Society. Read the details of this transaction, and the careers of these men at my website - God's Truth For Today!

Thanks in advance!!!

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• Dino
    Dino

Dungbeetle, mention Menta Sturgeon today among most JWs and you will probably get a blank stare. Those that do are surprised to hear that Pastor Russell's secretary left the "truth" for greener pastures. Once during a book study I made the comment that F.H. Robison left as well. That went over like a turd floating in a punch bowl. Thanks for the link.

Dino

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

<"That went over like a turd floating in a punch bowl.">

ROTFLMAO

I LOVE this Board!!!

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• Rev BII
    Rev BII

Commenting the first link, people shouldn't worry so much about the last days, they will be end with great things remember. I kJWs are extremely harmageddon oriented and that's a shame. When they come, they come. I don't think we are just before the end right now, but the earth is surely dying. One day it will be here. But people reading this may very well be death before that time.

God Bless

• RR
    RR

Yep. Seems this guys has hundreds of those items and has been selling them periodically. The concordant was founded in 1909. It has no association with the BIble Students or Jehovah's Witnesses. JPwever, after the judge took ovfer a few prominent BIble Students left and joined forces with them, Edwin Bundy, WT Pilgrim; Menta Sturgeon, Russell's personal Secretary; F.H. Robison, translator for most of the WT publications in over a dozen languages.

Now this guy sets up a site trying to witness to JW's by using old articles by the above mentioned individuals. Only problem is, those articls were written by Bible Students NOT Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Was this before or after Rutherford?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

These events took place in the early years of Rutherford's reign, relatively soon after the death of Russell. There is a short biography of F. H. Robision included in the book "Color & Character: A Contemplation of the Four Divine Qualities," (available from LULU.com and AMAZON, Barnes & Noble, etc.) which is a collection of a series FHR authored that ran in The Golden Age magazine. Robison was an interesting man, and evidently a synasthete, judging from what he wrote.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Thanks Nathan, I wasn't expecting anyone to respond to such an old thread. I'll go check out the info!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit