My hospital adventure....

by CoonDawg 4 Replies latest jw friends

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Okay...so Saturday, my mom goes back to the hospital here because she's having labored breathing and chest pains. They admit her to the hospital because she's also in a-fib. The doctor thinks she's got fluid still in her chest from previous procedure's fuckup. So, I get home from work last night and find out that my mom is going to be sent to ICU in advance of a probable procedure to drain the fluid in her chest. I go visit her and she's doing fairly well. I leave around 9 to go home.

This morning, I wanted to talk to the doc, so I went kind of early. I got there around 7:30 am and just waltzed right in to her room in ICU. No one cared that I was there. So about 8 or so, the surgeon shows up and starts asking questions about previous fucked up procedure. We give him the doc's name and number. He spends about 30 min. calling other surgeon and talking to him. He gets off the phone and comes in. About this time, my dad shows up...and he's already pissed because they wouldn't let him in early, but I was already there. The surgeon then says he wants to do surgery this morning and put in a drain right below her sternum as well as another in her side to relieve pressure. They tell us that if they see fresh blood in the pericadial space, they may have to do more to find where it's coming from.

They wheel her in to the OR prep and we take the trip down to the OR waiting room. We call all my brother and sisters to let them know. I also call my wife who is at work. She says she'll be there ASAP. I then get a call about 20 min. later she tells me there's an accident on her way and she's stuck in traffic. 10 min. later she calls back in tears and blubbering so bad I can't hardly understand her. She's been so upset she slipped her foot off the brake and her bumper kissed the car in front of her. No damage to either car...not even scuffed paint...no one even close to being hurt....So now I've got a critical mom and a hysterical wife...can my day get ANY better?

After about an hour in surgery, the nurse comes in and tells us that the doc had to crack her chest open because there were complications. Nice ambiguous term, "complications". So, we get to wait about another hour for surgery to be done. Finally the doc comes out and tells us mom made it fine. Basically, the blood in her chest and pericardial sac have coagulated into a scab like mass that has encrusted her heart, making it have to strain to beat. They had to peel the scab and to do this, they had to open her all the way up.

Anyhow, she's sedated now and still in ICU and on a ventilator for the next couple of days. Guess we'll see how much more things can get fucked up. It's been one hell of a 24 hours.

Oh, and the "brothers" that are so caring....the HLC didn't bother to show when she had the first procedure that caused the internal bleeding....That's your brotherly love right there. And today? Not a one - even after at Mom's request, local elders and such were called and told about the serious surgery. Where's a good ol' methodist or catholic minister when you need one? Bunch of no good posers. Just one more reason I wouldn't piss on them if one of 'em was on fire.

• happyout
    happyout

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear your mother had to go back into the hospital, but I'm happy for you and your family that she is ok. How is your wife? Sometimes, when we're stressed, even the little things can freak you out.

Take care,

Happyout

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sounds pretty stressful to me. Hope your mom gets better soon. She's lucky to have you there to watch over her.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Wow, what a rough one! I'm glad your mom's doing better. Your whole family's in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that you are cared about.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

This sounds very stressful Coondawg - my thoughts are with you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit