JW's as a cult

by gloobster 6 Replies latest jw friends

• gloobster
    gloobster

One of the hardest things for me to admit, even more than a decade after having cut off Witness ties as much as possible, was the possibility that they might be a cult.

I would always tell people that JW's had messed up ideas, that they screwed up people's families, etc., but a cult? Surely I wasn't born into a cult.

The following is one definition I found on the internet:

7 ELEMENTS OF A CULTIC GROUP

1) A centralized form of leadership that rules with unquestioned authority

2) A body of convictions, beliefs, and practices set forth boldly as "the truth"

3) A compelling presentation of the group vision to prospects that is inviting and challenging

4) A series of manipulative socializing sessions to instill psychological dependence on the group

5) A definable process of group dynamics used to unethically control and manipulate members

6) A history of abuses of authority by group leaders freely using deception and fear tactics

7) A history of psychological and spiritual abuses of group members that destroy lives

Sound familiar? I don't know if that is really the accepted definition of cult, but it seems to describe JW's to a T. For some reason, the word cult makes me think of Waco and Jim Jones. I guess Witnesses just don't have the Kool-Aid. They're too cheap.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

About a year or so after i left the borg i did a Sociology college course. Within that we covered the Sociology of Religion where we covered 10 points that defined a cult. As i was reading it i was amazed to find i could apply 9 of them to the JW's. The only one i couldn't was that a cult tend to has a charasmatic leader, on reflection that could be applied the society itself.

This was a real eye opener for me.

Paul

• carla
    carla

jw's often will say they are not a cult because they don't have one charismatic leader, however a group of men who act as one entity still fill that qualification. The group of men who take a 2/3 majority vote to change doctrines within the wt are the 'one leader' and must be obeyed the same as Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc...

• james_woods
    james_woods

JWs certainly started with a charismatic leader - and he was followed by another, then another. For most of their history they have followed a single president who was effectively the charismatic leader.

You might say that after Freddy got trimmed back in power, they have ruled somewhat by committee, but they sure did follow after one man for much of thier history. Probably the president, or head of the governing body, or whatever they now call it, carries about as much effective control (with henchmen and the 2/3 rule) as Knorr ever did, only further behind the scenes.

You might very much say the same thing about the Scientologists, that even thought David Miscaevage took over from L. Ron Hubbard, he has never quite filled the shoes, and so now they don't quite have as visible a single charismatic leader.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know that, single leader or not, the witlesses are supposed to obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger that runs the circus. And they have to obey this group without questioning them or cross referencing the doctrines that they put out. That contributes to its being a damaging cult.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I read the signs of a cult in Diane Wilson's book.

It made me very happy to be able to shed that religion for good after reading that book.

I wanted to have innocent fun, like celebrate holidays and not feel guilty about it.

• milliemootoo
    milliemootoo

I remember laughing with my friends when we were kids when people used to say that jw's are a cult, if I only knew what I have found out in the past couple of days. Why did I not look sooner instead of been afraid for the past 12 years, it is sickening!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit