Question for any electricians or DIY people - help appreciated

by The Nothing Man 5 Replies latest jw friends

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

Ok - I was doing some work on a circuit board (actually, it was a CD drive) and basically it all went badly wrong. I was trying to modify the circuit by soldering pins to the copper on the board, but before I did that I had to scrape away the protective layer on top. Unfortunately, I scraped too hard and damaged the copper badly.

So my question is, Is there any product on the market which could enable you to paint the bleeder back on? Some kind of conductive copper paint? Surely people make mistakes like this all the time?

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

No....Then I guess I'm fcuked lol

• SadElder
  • gloobster
    gloobster

Have you tried prayer?

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I often encountered a break in a pc board from dropping and the solution was to install small jumpers across the break. Remove the green coating. I often used a jewelers screwdriver to accomplish this. Once that was done, you need to "tin" each side of the break with a small soldering iron. Once done, you put a tinned piece of copper wire directly onto the gap and apply heat 'till the solder flows for only a second. If there is many breaks, the repair becomes very difficult as the traces are too close. Just be careful about how much heat you apply as the traces can lift off and you are now hooped. Because it's really hot, you need to use pliers or tweezers and nerves of steel. Sometimes I used a long piece of wire, and cut it off once it cools.

Good luck.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Here are some good tips with pics:

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/mistakes.htm

Happy soldering

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit