Bad Associations spoil useful habits. Are the JWs right? Scripturally?

by Open mind 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

It has been interesting for me to learn the various ways that the JWs twist the scriptures to fit their own dogma. (Of course JWs aren't alone in that, but that's another topic.) Two quick examples of JWs not following or going beyond the Bible are Blood and Birthdays. There are many others.

Re-reading the Bible without JW filters on is one way I pass the time at the meetings now.

But sometimes I'll find myself needing a little nudge from JWDers to see just where the dubs got it wrong.

So far, I think the JWs got 1 Cor 15:33 right. ("Bad associations spoil useful habits" for those who don't remember it. How could you forget? )

I've read the entire chapter in the NWT and now in a couple other translations and I come away with the same message the WT gives.

Don't hang out with people who don't believe the same as you do or you will spoil your "useful habits".

The entire chapter is devoted to those who were doubting in whether the resurrection was really going to happen.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, I think the message is sad and narrow-minded, but it's what Paul said, IMO.

OK, straighten me out please.

om

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

well yeah because we all know that's what Jesus did right? oh wait............

• Troggle
    Troggle

Jesus commanded us to love God with our whole heart mind and soul and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Yes bad association can spoil useful habits. I guess it falls in line with what you determine association to be. After meeting someone and getting to know them I determine if this is a person I want to associate with. Would I invite him or her into my house and feel comfortable letting my children know that person? Noone is perfect we all have our faults. There are many people I have to be around and talk to and be friendly with at work. I spend 8+ hours a day 5 to 7 days a week with them but I wouldn't consider all of them people I associate with. I have made a few friends at work and have invited them to my home or have gone to do something with them. Just because you are around people or even speak to them on a regular basis doesn't mean you associate with those people. I think Paul was warning us to be careful who we choose as friends and remain close to. I could be wrong though it's been a long tioime since I have evn thought about any advice Paul gave.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I guess i depends on what ones expectations and morality is.

If you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas................aint that the point of that verse?

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

Before this goes too far afield, I'm not looking for advice on the whole issue of choosing associates.

I think it's fairly common sense that we are influenced by who we are around.

But Paul was specifically talking about being around those who did not believe in the resurrection when he made the statement: "Bad assocations spoil useful habits."

I think the JWs are accurately following what Paul said.

I think what Paul said is overly narrow and restrictive.

So the bottom line question I'm asking is:

Are the JWs ACCURATELY following what the Bible says here?

om

• Blasty
    Blasty

I think they are in their determination of what a bad association is.

So I guess it's all about who you label as the person paul is talking about. Is it 6.5 billion of the people on the world, or is it actuallty a number far smaller then that?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I think Paul was right about those that don't live the life that they have in hopes of being rewarded with a future life being deserving of pity.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hell if I know, I don't read the bible. I makes me sleepy

nj

**waves at OM** How's the family?

• changeling
    changeling

Sure, in the same way that "birds of a feather flock together", or, "show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are", are true.

It does not take holy spirit to see the obvious in human behaviour.

changeling :)

• Troggle
    Troggle

If you keep it just in the term of believeing in the resurection then no the wittnesses don't have it correct. All christian religions believe in a resurection. Maybe not the one the the JW's believe but they do believe in one.

Does this mean JW's can associate with any christian?

Or, by associating with them will a JW maybe be persuaded into believeing something that the Society doesn't agree with

is that what you mean or am I misunderstanding the point you are making?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit