Is It A Struggle NOT To Get DF'd These Days?

by StAnn 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

Seems like when I was young (back when that dinosaur in the green NWT was still roaming the earth), DF'd people were rare. Now they're everywhere. A JW friend of ours was telling my husband (never a JW) that it's almost impossible not to get DF'd. My husband thought that was absurd until he started reading things on this board that folks have been DF'd over. Now it seems like all of the kids (late teens, early 20's) in my old KH are being DF'd every time you turn around.

Nobody in my circle growing up was DF'd when we were teens! What are the DF'ing stats like; are all of the KH's filled with DF'd people, waiting to be reinstated? Are people really walking around in fear, like my friend, afraid of being DF'd if they don't watch each and every thing they do? You wouldn't believe the lengths he goes to to hide his conduct, (i.e., reading apostate literature and going to a real church) which is not bad but would not be acceptable to the elders.

Just wanting an update to see if the reality in the KH's is as bad as it seems from the outside.

StAnn

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

back in the day in the 90's in my congregation you used to really have to try hard to get DF'd. They would give you every chance. But now, people are DF'd for anything. I know a person who was raped and was DF'd because they didnt think she was repentant. that doesnt even make sense!

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

whoa. you just gave me the most insane flashback. I used to LOVE the dinosaur on the map in the green NWT. Why was that there anyway? anachronism much?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember a time when most disfellowshippings were for "immorality" (that is, counterfeit immoriality from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger). Fornication and adultery were top ranked as causes for getting disfellowshipped, with smoking behind those.

These days, it is not so much a matter of controlling your desires. It is more a matter of controlling your thinking. You so much as harbor a private thought that something may be wrong with the organization or you don't quite believe everything the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger puts out is 100% accurate, and you are doing apostasy. Even before letting anyone else know. And asking a question is now a sure way of getting dragged in the back room. Going against unreasonable (and even unscriptural counsel from the hounders is a good way to get disfellowshipped as an "apostate" these days.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

In the area I use to live it was quite common, especially for kids of the non-elite. I knew several that had been df'd several times. They would be df'd for a year or two, get reinstated only to be df'd again in a few months.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I think it's always been a struggle not to get df'd. The difference is today you hear more about it due to the Internet. I got the ax in 1988 for circumstances surrounding domestic violence. About a year earlier, I knew a young sister who was df'd due to circumstances surrounding her rape by a brother. A lady who participates in KoolAidMan's Saturday night conference calls got it for being an abused wife back in the 60's. Because the WTB&TS claims that most are df'd for immorality, jws just assume when one gets the boot that immorality is the reason.

More young people may be getting df'd nowadays, because there's more information available to them about the WTB&TS's bullshit on line.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I always thought that it was a great travesty of justice in that when a person was DFd, they steadfastly refused to state the reason why (i.e. - did not want to "name the deadly sin"). Probably a self-defense mechanism to avoid lawsuits of defamation.

Of course, I never knew of a single case in which the committee members did not soon leak the reasons for it to be whispered all around the congregation. But due to the mystery, no one was ever quite sure.

What this usually led to was speculation on the part of the rank & file which probably made them think the sins were much worse than the actual fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit