Funerals

by justified 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• justified
    justified

We went to a viewing and funeral for a 5 year old little girl that died of cancer tonight. It was in their family church. It made me think about the Witness funeral's I've gone to in the past. I never remember them having the viewing at the Kingdom Hall, it was always at the funeral home, and then maybe the funeral at the KH Do any of you remember ever going to a viewing at the hall. I know that JW's believe that wakes have a connection to spiritism but all the witness funerals I've gone to did have a viewing, just not at the KH. Does anyone know why?

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I've been to many JW funerals over the years, and the bodies were viewed at the KH. Most also had a second viewing at the burial site.

• mistorie
    mistorie

I remember a slightly contentious buzz around the kh when ever anyone wanted a grave side funeral. Most jw's I knew were going to be cremated. The thought was that it was vain and arrogant to have a funeral where you were mourned in public and your lifetime accomplishments were talked about. There was a huge rift between my grandmother and her youngest sister over the fact that my great aunt wanted a grave side funeral when she died. My grandmother always said she would never go to the funeral. Well, my aunt died from congestive heart failure and emphysema from years of smoking when she was younger. My grandmother didn't go to the funeral for her own sister over a stupid difference of opinion. A few years back when my grandmother died she was cremated. There was a private service for her at the kh. It was one of the last times I ever stepped inside a kh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit