Can the US prevail in Afghanistan?

by nvrgnbk 5 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Invaders of Afghanistan

Many foreign forces have attempted to conquer Afghanistan and its predecessor states. Few have succeeded. Here are some examples of those who tried.

Darius the Great

In the late sixth century BC, much of the country was absorbed into the Persian empire of Darius the Great. However, plagued by constant uprisings, the Persians never established effective control.

Alexander the Great

In the third century BC, Alexander the Great invaded. The harsh, mountainous terrain and brutal weather were only part of the challenge. The Afghans themselves were no less formidable. Constant revolts undermined whatever glory he could claim.

Genghis Khan

In 1220, the Islamic lands of Central Asia were overrun by the armies of this Mongol invader. But even Genghis Khan failed to destroy the strength of Islam there. By the end of the 13th century, his descendants were themselves Muslims.

Britain

There were three major interventions by the British Army between 1838 and 1919. Each one ultimately failed.

Soviet Union

In 1979, the Soviets rolled in about 115,000 troops. The Afghans responded with an extended guerrilla war, and in 1989 the Soviets withdrew.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080712.AFGHANSOVIETS12/TPStory/TPInternational/America/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

With the support of the local population, I believe it can.

Without it, well!

History shows that truly restive population can only be vanquished by techniques akin to genocide.

However, it seems that most Afghans are for the program.

With the troop drawdown in Iraq well under way and for the moment looking like it could even be accelerated, more troops can be cycled into Afghanistan. Perhaps an application of Gen. Petraeus brilliant COIN strategy would do the trick.

BTS

• yknot
    yknot

Better question.....does the US really care if they prevail or not?

If it does then yes...

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

The U.S. might win by force and constant enforcement (occupation) but they really will never win those peoples hearts and minds, I think.

We are dealing with the "Taliban" and what all of that stands for. You might as well, IMO, ask if the U.S. can EVER make JW's become a

democratic organization? I see those taliban as fanatics who will willingly die for their faith or kill their family members for dishonoring their

faith, their customs.

If you're not a devout Moslem then you are part of satan's world. You, having being a JW, know how we knew the world was bad and destined

for destruction, something to be hated and avoided. The taliban are even worse than JW's, even though I'm sure there are JW's who, even now,

would stone their parent dishonoring offspring if the society were to say it was okay to do so.

So, no, those people do not want democracy. They will fight to the death for their theocracy.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I said at the time that the U.S. was biting off a helluva chunk in Afghanistan. And that was before the war in Iraq.

I do think whoever wins the allegiance of the local chieftans/tribal leaders will prevail. From what I've read that is up in the air right now.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It seems that mohammed prevailed;)

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit