Location of Congregation

by ItsJustMe 5 Replies latest jw friends

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

Having grown up in a suburban congregation in a well-educated area, I have not had many bad experiences within the organization. No one has ever tried to step out of line in telling me how to dress, what music to listen to, who to have over, etc. (except for my parents when I was living with them, but all parents set their own rules).

I have a strong set of moral values, a close family who cares about one another, and have had some good times with friends within the org. It would be easier to question the teachings if I did not have such good experiences myself.

That's only one side of the spectrum, though. Some of my friends who have moved to more rural areas have had serious problems with the elders in those congregations.

What makes for a more balanced elder body and therefore congregation? The only difference I see is the location - my hall is more affluent, good schools, etc. These rural ones typically have less money and a weaker school system.

This also back to the whole notion of your place of birth determining your religion. Maybe that's not just dependent on the country you grow up in - maybe that also works on a more finite basis - our spiritual direction depending on our own personal circumstances.

Anyone else see this trend or one similiar?

---------------------------

• zev
    zev

to a certain degree, i agree with your obervations. where i am now, a smallish city, there are 2 congos meeting there. BUT...TOTALLY different! you wouldnt believe the difference.

while i find, like yourself i have no real problem with the one i'm in, just across the "hall" as it were, is a WHOLE different thing, all in the same city.

so in this case....its not a case of....WHERE. its a case of WHO.

-Zev
    Learn about the Wtbts and the U.N.
    ** http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69 **

• Francois
    Francois

Yep. I've seen it aplenty.

For several years I was associated with the Austell, GA congregation. From time to time I would visit with my friends up the road in Dallas, GA. Both these congregations were filled with illiterate rednecks and there were constant problems with trivialities of appearance, moderate alcohol consumption, just bullshit. Imagine an elder who went out in field service with plaid trousers and a herringbone jacket, a white shirt with a paisely tie and wearing white sox. It was enough to rip your eyeballs right out of their sockets. And this guy was giving direction on appearance?

I was also associated with a congregation in Kingsport, TN. For those of you who don't know, Kingsport is the home of Eastman Chemicals and has more Ph.D.s per square foot for a town its size than almost anywhere else on earth with the exception of Oak Ridge, TN. It was truly the closest thing to a congregation of high intellectual attainment I've ever seen. But the hard part was to see these very smart people check their brains in at the door, and become parrots for sixteen senile octogenarians in New York.

It breaks the heart.

Francois

• ISP
    ISP

I attended 2 halls over my 20 yrs or so. There wasn't many..what I would call 'normal' folks..but I guess you have a better chance in more affluent areas on the basis that the body of elders is more likely to be 'secular'.

ISP

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I agree with Zev's comments. While there is generally a difference between a rural and a city congregation, within the city there are vast differences between halls.

Each congregation has a different "feel" to it. Even in areas where 8 congregations might meet at a double KH, they all are different and sometimes like night and day.

Like Zev said, it is more about "who" makes up the congregation. Whether that is influenced by location, or something like a bad PO or corrupt elder body or whatever, it always comes down to people.

Path

• Mrs Rocky
    Mrs Rocky

Location of congregation only changes the personality factor. The main policies of the Borg still remain the same. Question anything once and you are labeled as bad association, do it twice and you change getting booted out. Think the personalities of the elder body affect the congregation "spirit" more than anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit